Xcode hanging when showing storyboard

I downloaded the GM version of Xcode today. Then I made some change to my storyboard constraints and now it takes forever to display the storyboard, it basically hangs or takes multiple minutes to come back from the spinning wheel. Now it just crashed.

Any suggestions?

Replies

Got the same thing going on. Been happening for a couple of days for me. Tried reseting back to the commits before the error was happening still not working. I tried other apps and still didn't work with those. 😕

Fortunately I got mine to go away. I think it was due to some constraints I added, so when I got it to return from spinning wheel, I uninstalled the problematic root view and then turned them back on one at a time, fixing any constraint issues along the way. That seemed to do it.

Mine is 100% from a constraint I added. But I have never been able to get it to return from the spinning wheel so I can't do anything about it. Currently been going on for weeks, have tried on several different computers, and have tried resetting my project to before I added that constraint to no avail. Would you know how to uninstall the root view without being able to get into main.storyboard

Hi, I have the same issue. I did not find yet the problem (huge storyboard) but the lag is due to spindump running at 80% cpu most of the times I work on xcode

So far disabling spindump helped to make everything more responsive

Hi, we are seeing the same thing with our main storyboard. It is admittedly big but it was responsive in Xcode 8. Now in Xcode 9, everytime an element is selected, I have to wait 2 minutes for the spinner to dissapear. Then, select another element or change view and it's back to waiting. It's barely usable. Hopefully there's an easy fix to this.

I have the same problem. This happens even on a new project from a single page iOS template before writing any code. Just trying to show a storyboard.

I get an internal error occurred, editing functionality may be limited error displayed...

Process: launchd_sim [2753]

Path: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/CoreSimulator/Profiles/Runtimes/iOS.simruntime/Contents/Resources/RuntimeRoot/sbin/launchd_sim

Identifier: launchd_sim

Version: 5.0.0 (1205.1.10)

Code Type: X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process: ??? [1]

Responsible: launchd_sim [2753]

User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-09-23 09:53:25.277 +0100

OS Version: Mac OS X 10.12.6 (16G29)

Report Version: 12

Anonymous UUID: ***

Time Awake Since Boot: 49000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)

Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Illegal instruction: 4

Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x4

Terminating Process: exc handler [0]