Install ad hoc to iOS device without iTunes

Now that iTunes 12.7 has removed support for app management, how does one manage the apps on an iOS device? - in particular ad hoc distribution(s)?

Replies

Try drag/drop via Xcode/Devices...

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of KMT Down vote reply of KMT

You can still install ad hoc disctribution via iTunes.

- Connect your device to your computer

- Open iTunes. The latest version is 12.7.0.166 currently. Your device should be listed under Device on the left side.

- Simply drag and drop your ad hoc distribution file on your device.

I find that iTunes doesn't work for this. But Apple Configurator does. It's a simple drag-and-drop.

I installed an app via iTunes. Now I want to update new version for the app, it seems I have to remove the old version of the app before installing otherwise, the new version could not be installed. However, removing the app leads to lost data. How can I install the new version of app without losing previous data.

Please help me. I need it urgent.

Many thanks

Depending on the data, you can try stuffing it into the keychain, or, store the data on a remote server and pull it down as needed.

Otherwise, if your data is local and configured to survive store updates, vs. nuking the entire app, you'll need to find a different process and decide between persisting the data and testing the app as-is, or testing everything else about the app, as iTunes installs are not meant to replicate store updates.

Further questions, rather than tagging a 3 yr. old thread, are best put to your own new unique thread so you can better track and close if solved, etc.

Good luck.