Kext approval problems

With betas 7 and 8, my kernel extensions install fine, and I get the popup saying that they need to be approved, but the "Allow" button on the "Security & Privacy" panel doesn't do anything.

It correctly shows our company name for the software being blocked, but clicking the button does nothing at all.

Has anyone else ran into this?

Replies

Yes, I am encountering the exact same issue you've described with the last two betas of 10.13. The Allow button in the Security & Privacy system preference does not appear to function.

Problem not seen here either with the "Allow" or "Allow…" buttons.

When you say " clicking the button does nothing at all", does this mean that the "Allow" button and the text on its left do not even disappear?

Did you click on the lock in the left corner bevor you tried the button?

In the latest betas, it is not required to unlock the pref pane to allow an identity. Even a Guest account can do it.

It somehow makes the whole kext approval process totally pointless.

I'm having the exact same issue.

Beta 8

tried to launch latest Parallels 13

I get the popup saying to go and allow teh KEXT in system preferences

In System preferences the allow button is there, but clicking it does nothing whether I unlock the system preference app or no. Clicking it just makes teh button flash blue for a second and then nothing happens.

I've tried it under 4 different user accounts including a completely new clean administrator account.

It would appear the Allow button in the Security & Privacy system preference now works with the release of beta 9 which was made available earlier today. After clicking the Allow button, I received a dialog with one of the options to restart to make them active. After restart, the kexts were loaded.

It makes the whole thing so silly. I pointed this out in the past. The ONE reason why I could see this policy change as meaningful is to prevent the less knowlegable members in my family to approve something like this.

Wish that was the case for me, I get the pop up, leave it up and when I go to Security & Privacy nothing shows up for me approve a kext that is trying to load. Been like that since the pop ups started for me with Beta 7. Tried running Disk Utility to see if it caught anything, but nothing. On top of that App Store update ever since Beta 5 tells me an error occured and does not get a response from swscan.apple.com...

Same issue here still rearing it's head in Beta 9. The "allow" button is there, but clicking it does nothing.

Works here on my VMware test bed. Testing on real hardware is not really supported by Apple. You get one chance and cannot reverse the approval.

I'm having this problem on the GM. The allow button is enabled but not hilighting doing anything when clicked.

Sep 15 13:39:19 MacHFS117 com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[828]: objc[828]: Class AWDSecurityPrefAutoUnlockSetup is implemented in both /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice (0x1001b68e0) and /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Security (0x101db2900). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Sep 15 13:40:26 MacHFS117 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[828]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by com.apple.preference.security.re[828]

Sep 15 13:40:44 MacHFS117 com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[895]: objc[895]: Class AWDSecurityPrefAutoUnlockSetup is implemented in both /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/XPCServices/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice (0x1059cf8e0) and /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Security.prefPane/Contents/MacOS/Security (0x1075cb900). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Sep 15 13:42:10 MacHFS117 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.preference.security.remoteservice[895]): Service exited due to signal: Killed: 9 sent by com.apple.preference.security.re[895]

The problem I was experiencing appears to be related to screen sharing. So if your tester is remoting in to the target machine the allow button may not function. Would be nice if that were documented.

Confirmed! After struggling with this for days it is definitely the remoting that causes the Allow button have no effect when clicking it.

@Apple you must put a message on the Security & Privacy screen so that en users are aware of this restriction. A button that simply does nothing when clicked is a terrible way of handling it.

I have this issue when using a Mac Mini with a directly-attached keyboard and mouse -- not via screen sharing.