How to place one 3D object above the other using ARKit - Scenekit of iOS 11?

I am working on a AR based POC using the sample given by apple https://developer.apple.com/sample-code/wwdc/2017/PlacingObjects.zip.

Is there a way to place a 3D object above another 3D object in Scenekit?

For example i have placed a table above which i have to place something else like a flower vase. How to achieve this?

Because as far as i know, ARKit is detecting only floor surface and if i try to place the flower vase over the already kept table, it is placing it under the table overlapping the existing 3D object. Is this doable?

Accepted Reply

To see the vase as it is placed on the table you should set its position by the right value.

One of the simplest way is to add the vase as a table's child node since you don't need to update vase position whenever the table moves:

tableNode.addChildNode(vaseNode)

Set position of the vase to the middle of the table face. You have to calculate y or set it manually:

vaseNode.position = SCNVector3(0, y, 0)

The following code is to calculate y:

let tableHeight = tableNode.boundingBox.max.y - tableNode.boundingBox.min.y

let vaseHeight = vaseNode.boundingBox.max.y - vaseNode.boundingBox.min.y

Now you can set the vase as it is on the table face:

vaseNode.position = SCNVector3(0, (tableHeight + vaseHeight) / 2, 0)

Replies

To see the vase as it is placed on the table you should set its position by the right value.

One of the simplest way is to add the vase as a table's child node since you don't need to update vase position whenever the table moves:

tableNode.addChildNode(vaseNode)

Set position of the vase to the middle of the table face. You have to calculate y or set it manually:

vaseNode.position = SCNVector3(0, y, 0)

The following code is to calculate y:

let tableHeight = tableNode.boundingBox.max.y - tableNode.boundingBox.min.y

let vaseHeight = vaseNode.boundingBox.max.y - vaseNode.boundingBox.min.y

Now you can set the vase as it is on the table face:

vaseNode.position = SCNVector3(0, (tableHeight + vaseHeight) / 2, 0)