Xcode 9 beta 6 hang

Hi!

I have a question regarding a crash/hang in Xcode 9 beta 6

Not sure what this is but seems like a possible bug?

Using Xcode 9 beta 6,

This occurs when I am adding a toolbar to the view and then insert multiple bar button items to the toolbar and then attempt to change

one of the bar buttom items 'icon', meaning when I click on the attributes inspector and 'System item' changing it from

custom to one of the symbols, such as trash, action, reply icons etc.. However, it seems to work fine if I change to the other attributes , like for example

'redo', 'undo' ,'cancel' etc, If I remove all the items and keep one, then it works to change the item to any custom.

I wonder if anyone has an idea of what the issue can be, and/or if others here have experienced similar issue?

I hope my question makes sense and that I posted it in the right place.

Thank you

Replies

Xcode 9 beta 6 has a nasty memory leak somewhere. On my Mac Pro, with 16 GB of memory, I've twice now had the OS tell me that the system has run out of application memory, and I have to force kill Xcode.

I, too, am experiencing this same issue with 'System item' change freezing the app. Hoping it gets resolved in next release.

I am also experiencing this problem, only when a second bar button is added to a tool bar and pushed to the extreme right of the storyboard, if I try to change this button to a 'System item' in this case 'Trash" x-code freezes. If I add a third button I can change this to a trash button?

I'm experiencing the same thing, too. I've reported this in the Bug Reporter section of Apple Developer Site.
Xcode version 9 (9A235)

I had the same issue and unfortunately yesterday downloaded Xcode 9 GM and still has the bug

I am experiencing something similar. Every time I attempt to add a Bar Button Item to a toolbar, I get the pinwheel. I can add a regular Button but once I try to edit the button, I get the pinwheel. I am working in Xcode 9 not Xcode 9-beta. Also reported on bug reporter.

I'm having a similar issue. MBP 2017 High Sierra, and an MBP 2014 Sierra. Both using Xcode 9 build 9A325, Xcode hangs whenever I modify the default item in a toolbar, then drop a bar button item into the toolbar.

This happens in an empty storyboard in a new project. Activity Monitor shows the Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool process at 99.9% CPU.

Identical problem today using Xcode 9. Added multiple Bar Button Items and Flexible Space Bar Buttons to a Toolbar with no problem. But as soon as I try to change the System Item property to, say, the Reply icon, I get the pinwheel and it never recorvers. Foo.

Nice to see this has been a high priority for apple. Bug still present on Xcode 9.1. Does anybody have any decent workaround? Have tried using custom icons instead of system icons which was succesfull up to the point of having 2 custom icons on the same toolbar...then pinwheel time again.