El Capitan Beta 1 erro and Apple Hardware Test or the Apple Diagnostic

Hi people.

I'm trying to install OSX El Capitan BETA 1 (I'm developer). So I come to see the problem that I had to install OSX EL CAPITAN BETA 1.

I tried to install OSX said in my iMac mid 2010, the installation goes well, but not enough finish, or ERROR. Kernel Panic. I have done everything already researched in all sides and nothing, all tell me to do the same, Start the iMac carries the D button to start up with the Apple Hardware Test or the Apple Diagnostic, depending on the iMac to use, and yet, I can not make the diagnosis, the OSX starts normally and no diagnosis. So I try to do + D option, which is the start of the diagnosis over the Internet, and still can not, that is, it starts and tries the diagnosis and then says that the computer is not supported. Will I have to format the drive? Am I having trouble RAM ?. Thank you for your attention and if possible your help.

Thank you very much,

Link leave with an image of ERROR kernel panic.

https://goo.gl/photos/KKPvs3Vpihm7eZL87

Replies

Hi lusobrasil,

Each Mac needs a particular version of the Apple Hardware Test made specifically to test its hardware. (For mid 2010 27" iMacs, you need version 3A202; if it was a 21.5" model, it would be 3A195). Only newer Macs that came without installer disks can use the Internet based version - that's why you are getting the 'not supported' message when you try to use an Internet version.

Mid 2010 iMacs came with OS X 10.6.3 or 10.6.4 installed on them, so the appropriate version of the Apple Hardware Test for them should be on a grey system DVD that came with them (Disk 2). But unless you reformatted the drive, it also should have the Apple Hardware Test on a hidden partition on the built-in drive. If you did not reformat it, it should start up into that copy of Apple Hardware Test if you hold down the D key.

If you did reformat the drive (and it sounds like this must be what happened because holding the D key doesn't work) then you removed the copy of Apple Hardware Test on it. You must use the Disk 2 of the install DVDs that came with your specific model to run Apple Hardware Test - Insert Disk 2 and boot holding the D key. If you can't find yours, you can call Apple & order a replacement system disk set.

good morning Max108

thanks for the help.

It did not work when using the OSX installation disk 2 and pressing the D key the iMac reboots normally.

Still without access to diagnosis of OSX.

I can not install OSX El Capitan.

I do not know what to do.

Thank you very much for your help.

But if you can help me, I thank you.

a hug

tito Portugal

Hi Tito,

Thanks for your warm reply. We can rule out a hardware issue another way.

Do you have a lot of data on your iMac that you want to keep or would you be happy to erase it and reinstall Snow Leopard, then update back to Yosemite / El Capitan from there?

If there is data you want to keep, do you have a 2nd or external drive or another computer we can move the data to before going back to Snow Leopard?

Good afternoon.

I have an external drive for Time Machine to 500GB, and an external disk 1,5TB for my photos and more.

I do not want to format my drive. But by seeing this is the only solution?

I await help.

thank you very much

a hug

It's good that you have a Time Machine backup. Would you be happy going back to how your system was when you last backed it up?

If so then:

1. Make sure your Time Machine backup disk is connected and turned on. If your disk is on a network, make sure your Mac is on the same network.
  2. Choose Apple menu > Restart. After your Mac restarts and you hear the startup chime, hold down the Command (⌘) and R keys.When the Apple logo appears, you can release the keys.
  3. Select “Restore from a Time Machine Backup,” then click Continue.
  4. Do one of the following:
    • External backup disk: Select it, then click Continue.
    • Time Capsule: Choose your network from the AirPort menu on the right side of the menu bar, select your Time Capsule, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”
    • Network backup disk: Select it, then click “Connect to Remote Disk.”
  5. If necessary, enter the name and password you use to connect to your backup disk, then click Connect.
  6. Select the date and time of the backup you want to restore, then follow the onscreen instructions.

After you restore your system, Time Machine may perform a full backup at the next scheduled backup time. This is normal. Time Machine resumes incremental backups after the full backup is completed.

The above is taken from this support page.

If all is working after restoring like that then this shows that there is no hardware fault. If that is the case and you still want to try El Capitan, then I recommend installing it on a seperate partition on your internal drive or on an external drive (preferably connected by Thunderbolt). This not only preserves a stable OS X for you to use normally, but also ensres a "clean" install where no configuration or 3rd party software from a previous OS X can cause problems with the beta OS being installed over it.

Wishing you luck with this 🙂

Max.

thanks

I'll try.

a hug from Portugal.

Hello my friend.

I continue with the same problem.

Today I made through the restoration of my machice team and installed OSX Yosemite.

Then I tried to install the beta version of OSX El Capitan and the error continues.

No longer I do not know what to do.

Thank you for your help.

a hug

Hello my friend.

I continue with the same problem.

Today I made through the restoration of my machice team and installed OSX Yosemite.

Then I tried to install the beta version of OSX El Capitan and the error continues.

No longer I do not know what to do.

Thank you for your help.

a hug

tito portugal

I'm glad that you were able to get Yosemite going - that means you don't have a harware fault.

As I explained in my post above, if you want El Capitan on your particular Mac, you need to do a "clean" install - i.e. not over Yosemite, but on another drive (or partition on your internal drive) instead.

You'll have to go back to Yosemite again like you did before first though...