NSSound's setChannelMapping is deprecated, what do I use instead?

Hi, I'm new to working with apple and objective-c but I've seen on the developer site that most deprecated functions say to use "x" instead. However currently NSSound's channelMapping and setChannelMapping are deprecated but don't say what to use instead. Does anyone knows the replacement functions for those? Thanks in advance.

Accepted Reply

If you’re dealing with advanced audio features (like channel mapping) you really need to move forward into the modern world. In addition to what Claude31 posted, I recommend that you take a look at WWDC 2016 Session 507 Delivering an Exceptional Audio Experience, which has a good overview of our audio architecture and specifically covers the issue of audio channels.

If you have follow-up questions you can post them to either:

depending on the level at which you want to approach this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

Look here :

h ttps://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/AppKit/RN-AppKitOlderNotes/index.html

They say :

NSSound

Channel mapping is deprecated in 10.9, consequently channels should be mapped at a lower level using AudioUnitSetProperty.`

You have to go here to have some useful details on how to implement :

h ttps://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2091/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS10003118-CH1-CHANNELMAPPINGNSSound

May be youi can write your own extension to get the older channel mapping func for NSSound ?

If you’re dealing with advanced audio features (like channel mapping) you really need to move forward into the modern world. In addition to what Claude31 posted, I recommend that you take a look at WWDC 2016 Session 507 Delivering an Exceptional Audio Experience, which has a good overview of our audio architecture and specifically covers the issue of audio channels.

If you have follow-up questions you can post them to either:

depending on the level at which you want to approach this.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank You, switching from NSSound to AVAudioEngine took some work but this has exactly the functionaily I'm looking for.