Xcode 9 - Git not on GitHub?

I'd like to setup xcode 9 to work with a AWS CodeCommit Git repository, not using GitHub. I don't want our code in any way mistaken for public code.

However, when I try to setup a Git repository, the only options are GitHub (no option to enter a URL), GitHub Enterprise (has URL), or Xcode Server. Xcode 8 lets me setup a "Git repository" on any server.

Does anyone know if can we connect XCode 9 to cloud Git repositories not on GitHub? Should be somewhat common.

Thanks!

Dave

Replies

Hi, actually Xcode doesn't make things as simple as the GitHub integration. But it's totally possible to add other remotes.

First, you can add them with the Terminal. Xcode will use them and it will do the job just as with the Github integration.

But there's also something less obvious. If you go to the Git Navigator, you'll see three "folders". Branches, Tags, and Remotes. Just right click Remotes and select "Add Existing Remote…".

As of Xcode 9, the Preferences window no longer lists every source control repository you have ever opened or cloned in Xcode. Instead, you will see the Source Control services you have explicitly added like GitHub or GitHub Enterprise.

Can you expand a little on what you're trying to do? If you want to check out a new repository you'll want the Source Control > Clone… menu item. Otherwise, the new navigator dedicated to Source Control information is a great place to start.

How frustrating to see things made more complicated by attempting to make them more simple. All my Repo's are gone, and now I have to enter the passwords every time, and it won't even let me use the keychain to enter them...

Or.. How much did this cost GitHub?

Agreed. The connection to Git in Xcode has gotten worse. I am now repeatedly prompted to sign in to an AWS CodeCommit remote, and it fails every time. From all other Git clients (command line, Tower, SourceTree) I have no issues, but Xcode refuses to connect. Handling of remotes is not feature complete enough anyway. No publishing branches to other remotes is a big miss.