NSFileProviderExtension issues in Safari (Upload forms)

In my App I have a DocumentPicker extension (works in iOS 8 up to iOS 10) which uses the UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController only (no FileProvider necessary). This works great under iOS 8, 9 and 10, but under iOS 11 I can see the extension in the Files App, but its not working.

So I implemented a FileProvider extension for iOS 11 and it seems to work fine. In the Files App I can see my files, preview them, delete them etc. I can even copy a file to iCloud Drive. So it looks like everything is working fine. My App does not use the cloud, all files are stored locally, so there's no issue at all with network errors or any delays.

But when I open Safari, go to a web site with an upload form and try to pick a file for the upload, I do get the same file browser that is used in the Files App, and I can also browser my files which are provided by my FileProvider extension, but if I pick a file, the File browser is dismissed, but no file is passed to the upload form. If I do the same with a file from iCloud Drive, this does work.

So do I miss something here? Or is this not yet working in the current iOS 11 Beta?

The fact that the Files App is able to get the file from my extension to copy it to iCloud Drive indicates, that my extension seems to be working correctly. But then why does Safari fail to get the file from the extension? Or is the "iCloud Drive" Option not using the public API for the FileExtension and therefore it works?

Unfortuntely this is a completely new API and no other Apps are available from the AppStore to test this. The only options are to test with the Default options that are built-in into the iOS Beta, and this gives mixed results. So it's difficult to find out where the issue is.

Does anyone else tested their FileProvider extension with the "upload" feature in Safari? Does it work or does it fail as well?

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Replies

I can't even get my files clicked on the files app and on upload browse in safari.

they are disabled.

How come apple is 100% ignorant to all posts about this highly confusing providerextension?

Was the guys who made these quit the company or something that noone can answer the questions?