Local Audio Playback Options Suck

So in Watch OS 2 you had to use the WKAudioFileQueuePlayer to play audio files and have them continue in the background. You could also use the presentMediaPlayerControllerWithURL to play audio or video on the watch and it would continue in the background.

In Watch OS 3 you could do that, but some discovered that AVAudioPlayer worked as well and if you added the WorkoutProcessing entitlement that it would play in the backgorund and guess what, you could transition to the next track no problem in the background 🙂

None of these methods were perfect. Still don't have remote playback control via headphones or even the now playing view on the watch. Hitting pause (if using the old way) wouldn't mess the app up because you didn't get notified that that had happeded.

Maybe they will fix in Watch OS 4.... or wait they made it worse 😟. It's like they don't want you to do anything useful on the watch or something. Now the only way to get background audio/video is via the WKAudioFileQueuePlayer because the AVAudioPlayer "hack" no longer continues in the background and the presentMediaPlayerControllerWithURL stopped playing in the background.

People have submitted bugs to apple, but to no change in the beta. Now they have to change their app and say sorry users that actually use this feature and make the watch useful and by word of mouth might actually convince someone to buy an apple watch. That just *****!

When will the apple watch actually get some updates to the Audio API's? The iPod shuffle had more control than this thing. I love my apple watch so please don't take away features like this.

Replies

Just discovered that my app stops playing audio when backgrounded on WatchOS 4.

Had started out using WKAudioFileQueuePlayer (so many bugs), then switchted to AVAudioPlayer (so great in comparison).

Not looking forward to switching back.