Github: Cloning vs Downloading for Xcode use

Hi all,

My understanding of the difference between cloning and downloading a project on Github is that by doing a clone you have git instantly enabled on that project, and a connection with the remote repository where you cloned it from, and so you get access to the history and commit messages and so on.

With downloading, you get the most recent copy only, and not the repo.

Can I just ask one of the stupidest questions I have asked yet - 😊- can I, after downloading, then just use Xcodes local version control immediately? As in, to put it under Xcodes own version control, does it require my doing a first commit to start that off, or should I set it to git versioning more formally elsewhere in within Xcode in Xcode settings?

Accepted Reply

This thread has been deleted

There are two steps:

1. Put the local project folder under source control. Use the Source Control -> Create Working Copy menu item.

2. Associate the new local repository with the remote repository. Use Source Control -> master branch -> Configure. The second tab of the dialog is where you add the remote.

Note that step 2 is optional. You don't have to provide a remote at all, and you don't have to use the one the project originally came from. (If you do, you will have the entire history, once you push and pull.)

Replies

Which version Xcode?