Differentiate an APFS overhead volume from user volume?

So far as I can tell, there is nothing in the properties dictionary for the volume which differentiates a user volume from the VM/recovery/preboot volumes. Depending on the names is -- risky. It is doubtful you'd want to prevent a user from naming his volume by the same name.

Is there a supported way to differentiate?

Accepted Reply

The answer I've found is the IORegistryService properties dictionary has 1) an automount flag set to 0 for the support volumes (default/unspecified appears to be 1) and 2) there is a roles array for the support volumes.

Replies

… there is nothing in the properties dictionary …

What properties dictionary are we talking about here? What API are you working with?

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

The answer I've found is the IORegistryService properties dictionary has 1) an automount flag set to 0 for the support volumes (default/unspecified appears to be 1) and 2) there is a roles array for the support volumes.

The disk arbitration property dictionary is not very useful, but that is where I was looking, Quinn.

Thanks for answering. I added what I found below, if I'm interpreting this incorrectly I'd appreciate a correction.

Thanks,

Jim