Beta 5 stalls on progress bar

I had Beta 4 running fine on my MacBook Pro 2014, and this afternoon I download Beta 5 and it started the update process. However, when I came back to the laptop, it was still on a black boot screen, with the Apple logo, and the progress bar at 100%. I let it sit for a while, and finally turned the laptop off using the power button. I started it up again, and it kind of goes straight to the progress bar at around 80%, and then up to a 100, and then it hangs. I have let it sit for a long time.

I have now restarted into Recovery mode to check the disk using disk utilities, and all is fine. However, when I boot again, the prgress bar goes to 100%, and the laptop hangs.

What's going on???

Replies

Same here on beta 4

I hope Apple would chime in on this issue

Same here on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. After installing beta 5, I got to a black screen with the white Apple and progress bar at 100%. I let it sit for well over an hour. I went ahead and pressed the power button down to power it down. I powered it back on, I was able to select my user account, sign in but all I get is the progress bar fill to 100%, it won't advance towards the desktop no matter what user account I choose. I ran CMD-R, ran disk utlility and all is OK there. HELP!!

Tavio,

Keep restarting, I restarted over 10 times and it finaly came back alive.

This is not good Apple, can somebody give us a bit of info here?

Anybody got the beta 5 installed ok?
I have 2 MBP 2015 machines stuck in Apple logo and 100% progress bar. Not showing login even. Cmd-R and disk repair ok, no help.

These betas are going to worse thesedays. Apple Watch lots of problems and oddities when updating... NOT GOOD, but own desision to be a mine stomper...

I have same problem from Beta4 to 5 on iMac(2017).

I installed High Sierra beta again via recovery Cmd-R and stuck again to 100% bar after installation. TM restore to beta 4 version next... Maybe all these are due AFPS?

So, no one has a solution as to how to get past the “progress bar stuck”-screen? I reinstalled using recovery mode, but it is still stuck at 100%.

same thing here on an imac. i thoght leaving it overnight would correct it, but its definitely stuck

I can’t get the system back via Recovery Mode/Reinstall macOS. That only gets me back to the progress bar at 100% (I tried that).

So, what if I boot from a thumbdrive with High Sierra beta 4, can I reinstall macOS from that, i.e. on top of the current beta 4 / beta 5 installation, without loosing all?

Another with that exact problem. Beta 4 to 5 on a MacBook Pro 2016. Went back to previous snapshot via recovery without problem. Tried again. Same hang at Apple logo, 100% bar, left overnight without joy. Back again on Beta 4.

Also, App Store no longer offering an update to Beta 5 -- wonder if Apple removed it.

Sandy

Same here with iMac 2015 and mbp 2016. Any updates from Apple is highly appreciated. Ciao Marco

How did you get back to Beta 4 via Recovery? I tried booting into Recovery, and from there reinstall macOS, but it didn’t work.

I updated a Mac Pro and it sat on a black screen fora long time. I just walked away for a while. It was ok later.

Since I had removed CoreStorage, the system would not convert the test boot drive to APFS. After adding that back in the conversion came back with an error. I ended up initializing the drive with AFPS and reinstalling. That ended up on black screen early in the install. After 5 min. I walked away and went to bed. The sytem was installed in the morning.

Progress feedback is not so good...

Thanks, Mazev.

I'll try that and report back if it works for me.

I selected the first option in the Recovery list (something like restore from backup). I chose the hard disk of the MacBook for my backup location (sort of by mistake, because the Time Machine hard drive wasn't detected). I was presented with a list of snapshots to choose from, selected a time just before I downloaded the Beta 5 and voila I was back to the old Beta 4 after reboot.

Sandy