NSStackView doesn't layout views in legacy .distribution = NSStackViewDistributionGravityAreas mode

I'm trying to work with some fairly complicated view layouts in IB and I'm running into one really annoying problem with NSStackView.

My application runs on OS X 10.9 and later, so I set all of my stack views to distribution = NSStackViewDistributionGravityAreas, for pre-10.11 compatibility.

But when I do that, IB won't stack the subviews correctly. It stretches the topmost view to fill the stack view, then squishes the remaining views to zero height. It then, rather psychotically I might add, complains that all of the views are misplaced. The Update Frames command does nothing, and I can't set the Y or height of any of the stacked views in IB. As you can imagine, I can't visualize or edit anything inside these views.

I've verified that all of the constraints are valid and unambiguous. Also note that the compression and hugging priorities for all of the views are the same. (I did try changing them, but it had no effect.)

If I switch back to the modern distribution = NSStackViewDistributionFill, everything in IB works great, but I get a warning on build that this feature isn't compatible with pre-10.11 systems.

When I swtich to distribution = NSStackViewDistributionGravityAreas, that warning goes away, but then I get a slew of "Misplaced View" warnings.

BTW, the app runs just fine (on macOS 10.12) regarless of which mode the stack view is set to.

So is there a trick to getting NSStackViewDistributionGravityAreas to behave itself in Xcode?

Running the latest Xcode: Version 8.3.3 (8E3004b) on macOS 10.12.6