NEHotspotConfigurationManager requires special entitlements

Hi,

I'm trying to use the NEHotspotConfigurationManager to connect to a specific hotspot. According to the documentation at https://developer.apple.com/documentation/networkextension only the NEHotspotHelper class requires the additional entitlements:

Except when you use the NEHotspotHelper class, you do not need to obtain entitlements from
Apple to use Network Extension classes.

However, when I try to use the NEHotspotConfigurationManager it fails with

NEHotspotConfigurationHelper failed to communicate to helper server

In the system log console I can see that the entitlement indeed seems to be required, contradicting the documentation:

+[NEHelperHotspotConfiguration:274  NEHelperHotspotConfigurationManager process HotspotTest[261] is
missing the com.apple.developer.networking.HotspotConfiguration entitlement.

I see no reason for the entitlement, because the user is supposed to see a confirmation dialog box (as per the documentation) when a new configuration is applied.

Can anyone please shed some light on this?

Thanks

Accepted Reply

Nevermind, there's a new Hotspot Configuration entitlement in the Capabilities section, which I overlooked.

Anyway, might be useful to add that to the official documentation.

Replies

Nevermind, there's a new Hotspot Configuration entitlement in the Capabilities section, which I overlooked.

Anyway, might be useful to add that to the official documentation.

Hi Could you make it more clear? I have met the same problem when using the

NEHotspotConfigurationManager.shared.apply(configuration)

Make sure both Network Extensions & Hotspot Configuration are turned on in Capabilities.

Hello,

I'm getting exactly the same error.

I have enabled Network Extensions and Hotspot Configuration capabilities.

What else can I do?