Updating passes throughout a trip

For users who travel frequently, we would like to reduce friction when adding boarding passes to Wallet by offering them a single pass, to be added to Wallet just once, leveraging the ability to update passes. We intend to update this single pass automatically in real-time based on the flights (and other travel reservations) the user shares with us.

Basic example: a user travels from A to C with a layover in B. As soon as they have checked in to their flights, we would push an update to the pass to display the boarding pass for flight A>B. Once flight A>B has arrived, we would update the same pass to change the boarding pass for flight B>C instead. Once landed in C we would update the pass to display e.g. their rental car or hotel reservation, and so on.

Questions:

- Are there any technical restrictions which would prevent us from doing this?

- What would be the concerns about this approach? Are they only around connectivity issues when traveling or is there more to it?

- In case this approach turns out too problematic, is there an alternative way to let users bulk add multiple passes with only one action?

Replies

I'm looking for a solutions for the same problem (we have multi leg transportation trip and it seems that there is no way to add two passes at once).

Updating pass during the trip looks like OK idea, but I see two major issues:

1. Customer may worry he/she doesn't have all passes for complete trip ('What will happen if I not have an Internet connection and will not receive updates")

2. Pass update delivery is not guaranteed and particulary for travel, customer in real may have a connection issue.

Did you find a viable solution to add bunch of passes? Apple requires to have only one "Add to Wallet" button per page, so, how we can add two passes in that case?