App crashing at launch on iOS 11b4 when run from Xcode only

Odd issue: one of my apps crashes at launch on iOS 11 devices when run from Xcode (8 or 9beta4, both the same). If I open the app afterwards from springboard, it opens and works fine.

The backtrace isn't too revealing. It looks like it's calling [CALayer display] on a GLKView (there are a few of those in the app, but at this point none have drawn anything). It's then calling out to SceneKit's SCNGetPerformanceStatistics, followed by something for OpenSubdivision, and crashing on a memmove. SceneKit isn't used at all in the app, neither is subdivision of any kind.

Anyone seen anything like this, or have any ideas on how to debug? Or is it likely to be fixed in a future beta?

Replies

Had the same issue. Here solution:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45319215/ios-11-beta-4-presentrenderbuffer-crash

Goto Manage Scheme->Options->GPU Frame capture->Disabled

Well... this seems to have cured itself. I'm not sure how or why, it was crashing one day and working the next. I still have GPU Frame Caputre enabled (I'm working on a Metal based app and use the Frame Capture button quite a lot, so lucky that's not needed 🙂)