Could not connect to Apple Watch

Trying to update to watchOS4 Beta 4...

I've updated to iOS11 Beta 4, and trying to update watch, but getting error 'Could not connect to Apple Watch'.

Any advice?

Replies

Ryann,

I posted this on another thread. Good luck:

billcodJul 24, 2017 7:09 PM(

in response to uchida)

I was hitting all of the usual roadblocks - “Cannot connect to Apple Watch” and the Profile disappearing from the watch after rebooting the watch. Tried 4-5 times without success. Finally, I tried a new wrinkle. When you install the Profile on the Apple Watch via the iPhone Watch app, it asks you to reboot the phone immediately, When I did that the first few times, the Profile got deleted. So, this time I said ”No, I will do it later.”. I then checked and the Profile was still there, I rebooted manually, and it was still there. Then I went to Software Update in the Watch App on the phone. And this time I did not get the “Cannot Connect to Apple Watch” message. It just opened the normal update page. I hope they fix this for the public general update.

Hi All,

If you run into this problem, can you reproduce the issue, take a sysdiagnose, and create a bug report?

Please read the instructions for sysdiagnose logging here:

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/profiles-and-logs/?platform=watchos

Reproduce the problem as best you can and file an issue using the bug reporter. That'll help with getting important information to understand what's happening on your device.

https://developer.apple.com/bug-reporting/

We could use a sysdiagnose from both your iPhone and Apple Watch. If you're having trouble getting a sysdiagnose from your Watch because it says "not connected", even the sysdiagnose from the Phone could be helpful.

Thanks,

-nick

Its simple to reproduce the bug, Just open the watch app on the iphone and check for update and after a few seconds you'll get the could not connect to watch.

I was able to update to 4.0 beta 1 and 2, however now I get the error everytime I check for an update ever since beta 2

I even re-paired it and restored it and still get the could not connect to watch error..

I'll report the bug as mentioned above

This was happening to me since June. My AppleWatch and iPhone were paired and communicating but any time I tried updating to the latest watchOS beta, it was giving me the same issue. I ended up resetting the watch and setting it up as a new watch, then I downloaded the certificate on both my watch and phone. I tried to update it but it said it couldn't connect as before. I let it alone overnight and the next morning it showed an update available. I put it on the charger and connected to wifi and it updated.

Hi kevin_r,

It's very helpful for us when bug reports are filed and include relevant logging. We are tracking a few different issues in this area, so we want to make sure we're addressing the issues you are seeing. Let me know when you get a bug report # and we'll take a look.

Thanks!

-nick

Do all posts on here get seen by Apple Staff members? I've had a pretty serious bug I found with no feedback whatseover.

I have the same problem again. After new ios install the error appears "could not connect to apple watch" restart no effetc. The watch is connected ( can see that when changing the watch face in the watch app o iphone for example) or i can see after loading the photos medi and storage available. So the connection is here.

Restart no effect ( both devices) So unpairing the watch and pairing again no effect.

Just to setup as new might change the issue but not always. It is horrible with the watchOS updates... Please fix that . you can read that in every single dev forum all over the world. And still sending bug reports and sys diags doesnt solve the problem for months and years.

I've been changing from WiFi to Mobile and also different WiFi networks and then suddenly you get the update.

It might be something to do with ipv6 and dns settings. Some providers don't have right ipv6 settings.

New beta, same problem. Two different watches. What a pain on each update.

I just had this when upgrading to WatchOS 4 beta 5. I installed the logging profile so I could run sysdiagnose on the watch, went back to the Watch app... and there was an update already showing! I’d tried multiple times yesterday and today, on different networks, rebooting both devices. Long wait while it checks for update then “Unable to connect to Watch” every time. This makes me suspect it’s profile related, and that installing the logging profile may “fix” it. If so getting a sysdiagnose may be impossible on 1st gen devices as it’s no longer possible to repro after installing the profile.

Hello,

Just wrote bug report #33775695 attaching sysdiagnose.

It really worked fine updating watchOS 4.0 beta 1 through beta 4. Beta 5 (using iOS 11 beta 5, 15A5341f) it just fails with "unable to connect". Looks like it downloads the update but fails to start the update. The pairing is working fine because everything else works (heart rate sensor with sync, app update, etc.).

Same experience with me. I found having the phone and watch on the chargers, charged to over 50%, within sight of the router, and about 5 resume/retries on the download and install finally got it to go. Total upgrade time was still almost 4 hours.

It seems that Apple cannot get the networking stack right for this product and their network stack is deterioting across all of the devices when the connection is wireless, including the desktops.

Hello,

My bug report (33775695) was marked close as duplicate of 33139170, so I suppose it is a known issue.

I have got to say, this is the most frustrating process ever. I eve unpaired the paired the watch, then setup as new watch took camera on watch and took a picture on my phone. Tried to install the new profile and its unable to find the watch.

Hopefully this will get fixed before release 🙂