Render animation as video for export

Hi ya!

We have an app that displays an animation that is essentially constructed by the user. I'm needing to now implement a system that takes that animation composition (with its audio) and exports it to the camera roll (and optionally also provides sharing options). I've been looking into and briefly testing ReplayKit, because it sounds like the most straightforward way. So far I haven't got it to work, just because I fail for some reason to bring up the preview view. I'll get it working soon, but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experience with this whether it's ReplayKit or some third-party solution.

Basically we have a scene where the user-built animation is shown and there's a record button underneath it. You press it, the animations run and after some time the capture is cut and the preview screen (RPPreviewViewController) is displayed. So Apple's own preview screen provides options for saving and exporting, so a user would do that and then exit back to the animation scene.

Three questions arise:

1) It's a kids app, so there needs to be a parental gate before any sharing occurs. Any possibility of limiting the options on the preview view to only save to camera roll?

2) I've heard from multiple sources that the export quality of ReplayKit is not very good, especially with the audio. Are there code-level render settings that might work?

3) I've read that you can omit certain elements from being rendered, such as the recording controls, but is it possible to render elements that aren't shown to the user, like for example a logo?

Replies

Hi guys,

my daughter is 9 and heavy into animation,e.g. Minecraft,Bendy and the ink machine,,manga, and every creative app she can get her hands in to try,

1st question would you consider giving her your app to check out,

2.she has an iPad Pro but needs an Apple Pencil ,the alternative just isn't cutting it

were going to an animation class at Apple Store in Las Vegas and would love to buy that pencil there!

any chance on a little price reduction for 9 year old artist with single mom?