Xcode9 open file in different window

I didn't see this on cursory glance, apologies if this is a repeat.

In pre 9 if I cmd-double click on a symbol in the editor it would open in a different window. Cmd-Single-Click now shows the contextual menu.

Has anyone come across the way to actuate/enable this older behaviour or is it (hopefully not permanently) gone?

-Andrei

Accepted Reply

It's a change in Xcode 9. The default is now to hold down Control as well, to get the previous behavior. Without Control, you get the menu.

If you want the old key equivalent back again, go to Preferences -> Navigation -> Command-Click on Code. This reverses the use of Control.

Replies

I've not installed XCode9 yet, so cannot test.

In XCode8:

cmd-double click on a symbol in the editor opens in a different window.

Cmd-Single-Click let select between the contextual menu and opening the symbol definition in place of present window.

Cmd-Alt-Single-Click open the symbol definition in a second pane of present window.

It's a change in Xcode 9. The default is now to hold down Control as well, to get the previous behavior. Without Control, you get the menu.

If you want the old key equivalent back again, go to Preferences -> Navigation -> Command-Click on Code. This reverses the use of Control.

This worked for me. I think I discovered it about the same time you posted it as a process of just trying any combination of modifiers I could. In retrospect I find it interesting to have to use control to disable the contextual menu. #ilyxc

Thanks again.