Binary Rejected Guideline 4.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

we are building a mobile platform for Arabic cartoon videos (Android version https://goo.gl/XiGrse). We are trying to provide a safe experience for our users with a wide range of collections.

Two months ago we submitted our first version of the app megatoon, and we got a rejection because of:

• Guideline 2.3.6 - Performance - Accurate Metadata
  • Guideline 4.2.2 - 4. 2 Design: Minimum Functionality

After that we worked for another two months to get a new version with more functionality but again when we submitted we get a rejection (Minimum Functionality). Currently the app contains the following functionality:

1. 4K videos and 6K videos under review, on daily basis we review about 90 videos
  2. All videos are categorized under proper categories
  3. Sign up/Login and this is the first step toward our goal to make a community around Arabic cartoon videos
  4. We added favorite list so the user can add his favorite videos to this list
  5. Rewrite video player to move uiwebview to wkwebview and while we can use a native iOS player without webviews but this will be a violation for youtube terms and conditions

And we submitted our app again we got a rejection again but this time (Guideline 4.2.2 - 4. 2 Design: Minimum Functionality: please ensure your app includes features, content, and UI that elevate it beyond being primarily a repackaged website or marketing materials.We hope you will consider making the necessary changes to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines and will resubmit your revised binary).

And in resolution center I am trying with app review team to understand where is the issue exactly but I am keep getting some robotic answers 😕.

Any one can help please to understand where is the issue exactly or what should we do to get this app aproved?

Thanks inadvanced

Replies

I'd wonder if that app has been flagged, and there isn't really much chance of moving it forward now, regardless...

I'm in the same boat as you. They keep copying and pasting the same response. I feel for you brother. I hope they can get this resolved. Ask for a call back. That's what I did. They said the team was going to call in 3 days, but I've yet to hear from them on the 4th. I have my fingers crossed and hoping they are just really busy.

Hi -- a client of mine is in the same boat. Did you ever get this resolved?

The 'resolution' is for your client to (a) obtain their own account and (b) not use a template/app generator, and if needed, hire you to work with them to again get their app(s) in the store.

unfortunately our app rejected for the third time,

In first iteration they complained about using uiwebview so we re-write the whole youtube library to use wkwebview.

In the second iteration we got "Minimum Functionality" so we added user profiles and signup and login, users can add thier favorite videos to a list, then again our app get rejected and I submited an appeal, I got a call after three days from apple review team (I will not mention caller name here) and he told us that our app should have an interactive functioality with the user, at that time we were working on video reactions (like/dislike), video reporting (if there is somthing abuse in the content) and comment system so the users can discuss the video and leave thier feedback. And he told us that would be good.

In the third iteration: we added privouse functionality and added realted videos (which is based on our user reserch from Android app), again our app get reject,

My problem in the last tow iterations that apple review team didn't test or take a look to the new features, I didn't see any log-in from the account I provided them to use for testing, they just copied and pasted the same rejection reason from the last time. And more over I got a punishment and they threatened me to suspend my account (you can find full resopnse below).

This is the first time I got this thing in my whole carer life or personal life, espicaly I don't have any bad intention. Apple your documination and guide line for this topic is not clear please please go and fix it. I have a good level of education and I am working in one of the largest companies in the world so I belive I have a good level of understanding. If you don't want our app interaly please say it clearly, don't waste my time and money, I have four developers working on this project and you can imagine thier feelings becuse they couldn't see thier app live. All of them read the guideline multiaple time even android developers.

I totaly understand apple want high quility apps in the market and I am supporting this, but please do it properly and make a clear communitcaion.

------------------------------------------

As a result of violating this guideline, your app’s review has been delayed. Future submissions of this app, and other apps associated with your Apple Developer account, will also experience a delayed review. Deliberate disregard of the App Store Review Guidelines and attempts to deceive users or undermine the review process are unacceptable and is a direct violation Section 3.2(f) of the Apple Developer Program License Agreement. Continuing to violate the Terms & Conditions of the Apple Developer Program will result in the termination of your account, as well as any related or linked accounts, and the removal of all your associated apps from the App Store.

We got back a 4.2 rejection for an app we custom built to integrate with a parking management system.

It sounds like Apple does not want any more apps in it's app store.

Here’s a bit of customer feedback, having invested a significant amount of our time trying

to meet the Apple specifications for getting an App into the store:

Apple has figured out how to manage 26 million songs.

But Apple thinks the world can only handle 10,000 apps.

That to me looks like a failure of imagination.

Has Apple considered implementing a two tiered APP store?

There’s the top tier 10,000 Apps that have met some arbitrary level of usefulness, and then a second tier

of junk apps, that were developed for a specific purpose, just not a purpose that Apple can fathom.

In our case, we promote our app independently of Apple, and just need a simple to use

application that our customers can download and use to manage parking.

We are open to paying Apple $100 a year for the privilege, and apple users get the app they want.

My guess is that there are 10 million apps that would like to be in the second tier store.

(For reference - Google play has 3.5 million apps and growing).

If apple charges $100 / per app / per year, that works out to 1 billion in revenue.

As it is, with 10,000 apps paying $100 / per app / per year, that's only 1 million a year in revenue.

How many other billion dollar ideas might Apple be ignoring?

Is your app more than a web view to the parking management system?

Hello Guys,

Though this issue has already more than 1 year, i've just had my first similar problem just like you and i think is good to share.

My app has always been approved until the last submission where i received the reject with this vague and abstract comment from appstore reviewers:

Guideline 4.2 - Design - Minimum Functionality

Your app provides a limited user experience as it is not sufficiently different from a mobile browsing experience. As such, the experience it provides is similar to the general experience of using Safari. Including iOS features such as push notifications, Core Location, and sharing do not provide a robust enough experience to be appropriate for the App Store.

Next Steps

To resolve this issue, please revise your app to provide a more robust user experience by including additional native iOS functionality.

If you cannot - or choose not to - revise your app to be in compliance with the App Store Review Guidelines, you may wish to build an HTML5 web app instead. You can distribute web apps directly on your web site; the App Store does not accept or distribute web apps.

For more information about creating web apps, refer to the Configuring Web Applications section of the Safari Web Content Guide.

For a description of the HTML elements and attributes you can use in Safari on iPhone, check out Safari HTML Reference: Introduction.

In my defense:

Of course my app has mote features, like camera and camera album access, comparing with browser version. In my opinion this is just non sense but they rule, so anyone has already solved this issue?

>To resolve this issue, please revise your app to provide a more robust user experience by including additional native iOS functionality.

Translation: You do not have an app - when you do, feel free to submit it to the store.

I have same issue. Can't get my app on app store. It is a shopping app for beekeeping items. Any suggestions would be great help.