Apple Pencil and iOS 11 issues

Hi

Just me or is anyone else having Apple Pencil issues with iOS 11?

Have an iPad Pro 10.5" and with the latest beta have noticed that my Apple Pencil does not charge - always showing at 0% (sometimes red, sometimes green).

Have plugged it in to the iPad Pro for over an hour at a time, still no charge - will work for a couple of minutes after unplugging then stop. Likewise when plugged in to the power adaptor in the wall.

Have hard reset the iPad, have even un-paired the Apple Pencil and re-paired. Still no difference.

Trying to work out if it is a faulty Pencil or an iOS 11 beta issue.

Replies

I'd say a faulty pencil.

I have this working on the latest iOS 11 beta and on iPad pro 9.7" (2016) and iPad pro 12" (2017).

Try charging it directly with the union to a Lightning cable and a powersupply. It is working correctly on my 10.5.

I have similar issues. My Pencil hasn't worked with all three iOS 11 Betas (but worked fine before that).

When I connect the Pencil directly to the Lightning port, it shows up as connected but with 0% battery; when I remove it, it just disconnects. I've tried fully charging the Pencil via a Lightning cable, unpairing and re-pairing it, rebooting the iPad and doing a full reset of the iPad, and the behavior is the same.

This is exactly my experience too. It was fine with the previous iOS 11 beta so was wondering if it was a recent iOS 11 issue rather than a faulty Pencil. I will likely take it to an Apple Store in the coming days and see if it can pair and charge with one of their iOS 10 iPad Pro. Unfortunately I do not have any other iPad Pro to test it with.

THis is still happening in iOS 11 Beta 4, released today. Hopefully it’s fixed in the next build...

The issue continued with iOS 11b4, so I went to an Apple Store and tested the Apple Pencil on an iPad Pro 10.5 running iOS 10.. plugged it in for a number of minutes and the charge did not rise. The store replaced it with a brand new one, tested and working fine. Litmus test will be when the Pencil has a low charge, or completely discharged, and see what happens.

Oh jeez, okay. Let me know how you get on when the battery runs dry. Don't really want to have to buy a new Pencil :/

When I got it home it had 77% charge on it.. I then charged it up that evening to 100%.. July 26th. 8 days later (today being August 3rd).. it is on 44% power and I have not plugged it in since that day. I'm still waiting for it to discharge. 🙂 Will report back when it does.

Further to my previous comment, the Apple Pencil completely discharged on August 10th - 15 days after a full charge and light usage. I charged it up using the fast charging of plugging it in to the Lightning port of the iPad... within 23 minutes it had 100% charge at which point I unplgged it and did not let it trickle charge further.

I then updated to iOS 11 beta 5 on the iPad Pro.

30 hours later, the Apple Pencil has 86% power remaining.

Reverted to iOS 10.3.3 and was still having the same issues, so I contacted Apple support and because it's just out of warranty, I need to pay 80% of the price of a new Pencil to get it replaced :( Seems like extortion to me, but I guess I'm SOL.

Yes, I cannot pair my Pencil with ios11 (release version, not beta).

> ios11 (release version)

As iOS 11 is now public, as you point out, user-centric queries/comments such as this are perhaps best put to Apple's public community support forums, run by AppleCare, and/or Apple's twitter support account, vs. risking off-topic here in the DevForums, thanks and good luck.

https://support.apple.com/

Users can feedback via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - Individuals using betas are free to use the Feedback Assistant; devs can use the 'Report Bugs' link, below right.

After updating my iPad to IOS11 my pencil does not charge on the lightning port anymore. However it is still paired and does charge on a usb-ligntning cable. Another problem is that drawing on the iPad seriously lags. Does anyone experience that as well?

it’s not just you I’m not having as big a problem but it sounds like alot of you are tho , although I did have that problem about a year ago but it seems since the betas most noticeably when installed beta 3 that’s when I noticed just random bugs I guess is the best way to put it in the pencil because I use the pencil for everything I love it ..... however recently it’s been acting up especially when I’ve been in Safari and things I guess the best way to put it is just are not clicking like they work I was in Pinterest today and I found myself having to use my finger because my pencil was not sensing screen so I I don’t know what’s going on but I use the pencil for everything as well you should be able to use the pencil for everything I don’t know why you can’t to pull up docs the dock and would you turn the top that’s ridiculous but that’s for another time ..I don’t understand why you can’t use Apple Pencil to bring up the dock or bring down your widgets and check the chuck a pencil battery life and things like that when they came out with this it was supposed to be like your finger I love it because I don’t get fingerprints all restaurant and it’s easier but defeats the purpose when I got to put the pencil down and use my finger why can’t the Apple Pencil pull up the docs and the controls on the bottom and same thing with which it which is from the top I do not understand that so just want let you know I’m struggling with the Apple Pencil and the betas to and I’m just hoping that I’ll see a difference very soon it will go back to normal —————also does anyone screen dim and then go bright again randomly ? I just started noticing it in the past week I like my screen very bright and it just did it as of writing this so I always have my screen of the brightest and I don’t know if that’s why it’s doing it I should be able to do but somethings wrong and apple need to address this during problem it’s definitely a glitch of some kind it goes about I would say 25% dimmer and a second later will go back to the brightness that you had her set annoying and it makes me feel like I have a cheap product which I know I don’t