High Sierra: "Can't be downloaded at this time"

I am trying to download and install the High Sierra Public Beta. My Mac is running 10.12.5.

I'm registered in the Public Beta Test program. I have downloaded the app Install macOS High Sierra Beta. When I run the app (from within App Store) it does some work then responds with a notification:

"Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later."

Has anyone else had this ? Is there a problem with the 10.13 downloads ?

Thanks.

Garry.

Accepted Reply

I'd wager you downloaded High Sierra before enrolling your Mac in the beta. You have to first download and run macOS Public Beta Access Utilit on the system. This is step #2 at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/redemption#macos. Once that has been installed you may re-run the High Sierra Installer and it shoudl work without issue.

Replies

I'm having the same problem on two different iMacs.

I'd wager you downloaded High Sierra before enrolling your Mac in the beta. You have to first download and run macOS Public Beta Access Utilit on the system. This is step #2 at https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/redemption#macos. Once that has been installed you may re-run the High Sierra Installer and it shoudl work without issue.

yes this worked, thank you.

Yes, I think you are on the right track.

I enrolled in the public beta program when it first started and have stayed continually registered since. Anyway, I had to log in under that registration before I could download the Installer app.

I think the issue has arisen becuase of the other troubles I've had. I've not yet had a fully functioning 10.13 install. I am using an external Firewire drive (so as to not risk my production macOS). I updated that drive from 10.12.4 to 10.13. But, I didn't see an option to install APFS. So after a successfull install, I tried the procedure of changing from HFS+ to APFS. But, I got the well known errors. First was that I couldn't select the 10.13 install as a startup disk - "Building boot caches on boot helper partition failed". I also saw "Running bless to place boot files failed" and "Could not create a preboot volume for APFS install."

I had a 10.13 volume that could not be booted. So, I decided to do a clean install. That meant erasing the drive and starting again. I booted the 10.13 Recovery volume and formatted the drive to APFS. That seemed to work but when I tried to install 10.13 I got "The installed information on the recovery server is damaged". So, I booted to 10.12.5 and formatted the external drive to HFS+ then installed 10.12.5 on that drive.

Next, I booted the external drive (in 10.12.5), went to the beta web pages and downloaded a fresh copy of the Installer. The Installer ran for a bit but then popped "Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.".

None of these errors are friendly or helpful in figuring out what to do or how to get 10.13 public beta working. Particularly, there is no FAQ on what to do when the install process fails somewhere as it has for many people.

When I first enrolled way back I did download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility and do what was necessary but, I've not done that since. I bet that a clean install is treated as "enrolling a new Mac" even though I wasn't really. But, why was I able to download and run the Installer app if it was necessary to run the Beta Test Utilityfirst ?Just another trap.

Cheers.

Thank you, awesome this worked as well

I did this and it still isn't working, any other suggestions?

I have the same problem, even after installing the feedback assistant. Please help!!

same issue with me now whats going on?

Yep happening to me too... This is after completeing a completely clean install.

Long story short I was having some other issues with corrupted HD not allowing me to get updates properly. I got that all sorted out.

Got the Public Beta Access utility to work but still get the error message.

Could this be something on their end, pulled the download or something?

Same issue here. I believe they pulled it after someone finding a bug. Just be patient and it will be back up when patched...only better.

I am having same issue, I have downloaded and installed the beta utility but when I try to download high sierra from the app store I get the message that

"Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time."

Any help? I have os11 beta running on my iphone 7 and macbook pro 10.5

Having the same issue on my Mid-2014 13' MBP. Made sure to reinstall the macOS Public Beta Access Utility several times, and restarting my computer but I get the same error message everytime I hit "continue" in the installer: Installation of macOS could not continue; Installation requires downloading important content. That content can't be downloaded at this time. Try again later.

Having the exact same issue with the same error message as everyone else.

2017 MBP 15"

Likewise same problem on MBP Early 15.

Same problem here... Any fix for this?