How do I get the keychain & iCloud to re-sync

I have two computers using High Sierra (this was not intentioanl either that is another story). The email settings are wrong on one comptuer & nothing I do can seem to fix the IMAP & SMTP settings; while on the other computer the same settings work. I am typing in the correct settings & I then I get an error message "unable to verify account name or password". The computer with problems is an older device & thus may have a differnt keychain. They are using the same iCloud account for keychain sharing.

Is there a way I can possibly clean the key chain & get the keychain to re-sychronize across devices?

Replies

After hours of trying to get the key chain to sync & no joy. The following worked but was quite drastic, I deleted the failing email accounts from the keychain & then re-added them one by one & I had to change the passwords on the admin site for the IMAP emails.

Having to change passwords for the emails is not something I wanted to do but it did work.

Did you try exporting the good Keychain and importing it on the older Mac?

In essence I did that by doing a keychain reset. I hestiated to do that at first as it seemed quite destructive but really it amounts to taking the keychain from the current comptuer & uploading it to iCloud.

The emails account still did not work though & I deleted them and created the accounts new again. The good thing was that as I re-added the email accounts, they were added to the other comptuer with a user prompt dialogue box appearing and that worked.

There was an earlier beta that wiped out all my Safari passwords but luckily I had them all in 1Password too so it wasn’t that big a deal.

I do wonder about using such a software service like 1 password now. 🙂

Over the years of use, there is definteily was a certain amount of duplicate & obsolete entries in my keychain. I wonder if they contributed to how the OS & iCloud was behaving differently on two computers that really should have been using the same keychain entries.

For another time, I do want to read up more and how duplicate entries take precendence when they exist in the local & iCloud keychain.