Dev kit eGPU no longer activating [FIXED after OS upgrade]

My Breakaway Box is no longer working as an eGPU. I'm not convinced yet that it's a hardware failure because Power Delivery works just fine when I plug it in. I hear the chime and am able to charge my 2017 MBP 15". But the front light does not illuminate, plus it doesn't send a signal to my external display nor accelerate any graphics.

This morning when I came into work, I opened up my laptop but my grip slipped and it closed again (a big reason why I don't like auto-power on when opening the lid!). Just to be safe, I plugged in the TB3 cable at that point, then opened up my lid and looked down to see the eGPU light illuminated and my laptop booted up. But my display hadn't turned on. I no longer see the front light illuminating nor fans on.

Since then, I've rebooted 4-5 times, flipped the back power switch a few times, unplugged the power cable, tried a couple TB3 cables especially the included one (which BTW is not nearly long enough), and hotplugged/unplugged the TB3 cable.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to diagnose this issue? I've filed a couple bug reports related to the dev kit and have received ZERO guidance on how to diagnose any issues with it. I feel like the first step is to determine whether this is a software issue or hardware issue. I currently am not sure how to do that.

Replies

i would not waste an Time. Call and ask for replacement unit. Period.

I'm having the same intermmitent issue. How did you resolve, @godatplay?

Thanks.

I haven't resolved it at all. It's still totally unusable aside from Power Delivery. My bug report has gone completely unanswered. And I still don't even know if it's a software issue or hardware issue.

My hope is that it's a hardware issue, and I can contact Sonnet who will actually get back to me (I've left two voicemails that have gone completely unanswered, now I'll try email).

Hi @godatplay,

Did this ever get resolved? I just started having the same issue.

I left my eGPU unused for a couple months, and then upgraded to a newer version of High Sierra. It seems to work now. I'm guessing it was some kind of driver issue.