What are some examples of acceptable monetization options for the new MusicKit/Apple Music API?

Upon reading the Apple Music Best Practices for App Developers and the Apple Music API FAQ, I am confused whether developers are able to use the Apple Music API/MusicKit to create apps that can generate revenue. Here is the specific verbiage that I located:

Apple Music Best Practices for App Developers

"Moreover, your app may not require payment or indirectly monetize access to the Apple Music service (e.g. in-app purchase, advertising, requesting user info, etc.)."

Apple Music API FAQ

What are some common integrations of the Apple Music API that are inappropriate and would be rejected by App Review?

Apps forcing an in-app purchase, advertising, requesting user information to monetize or gate access to Apple Music API will be rejected.

My main questions are:

• Are there acceptable types of advertising permissible under these guidelines? If yes, can some general examples be provided.
  • Are there acceptable types of subscription/in-app purchases permissible under these guidelines? If yes, can some general examples be provided.

Replies

I want to know the same thing. If it means “you can monetize so long as you don’t have pay gates for any Apple Music features” or if it means “no” for everything.

Bump on this? My read is that it's no montetization on anything gating a user's access to apple music services, but that you could monetize some kind of value added features.

It looks pretty clear to me that you can't sell or monetize for accessing the Apple Music API. Is it just me?

I have been wonderig this same thing! It's not very clear. If you get the API Token / Music Kit API can you sell advertising inside the application? Help

This may be what you are looking for:

The affiliate program

https://www.apple.com/itunes/affiliates/

Post not yet marked as solved Up vote reply of 3ZS Down vote reply of 3ZS

thank you i am doing research on this too

Bump on this one . Does anyone have a concrete answer ? my thoughts are you can monetize your app in other ways , as long as access to the app and Apple Music integration is always free.

the best example I have is RunKeeper. It’s a running training app that integrates with Apple Music. It’s free to use basic, but pro features will fetch you $15 a month. Both free and pro give you Apple Music access. Pro just has heaps of other app features that increase the experience for runners - like training plans.

Also what about a game that costs money to get, but integrates with Apple Music so you can listen to your music while completing a certain level.

would love a concrete response here !

This question really needs an official answer. Are apps like this acceptable?

1. Apps that are not free in the App Store and play music with MusicKit.
  2. Apps that display a banner ad while songs from MusicKit are playing.