Disk utility High Sierra first aid fails!?

Just installed the beta of High Sierra on a mid-2014 macbook pro. System booted successfully first time. I routinely check that the FS has survived the upgrade process, so fired up disk utility and ran first aid on my newly converted APFS internal add (pci-e). Got the warning about the system being locked whilst this happened, then it hu June'sng at "checking the object map". I tried to fire up the feedback assistant and the system has now locked completely. Going to have to try a force reboot.....yuk! :-( Will report back later. Cheers Jon

Replies

So I was able to reboot with no apparent problems, however, along with others I've noticed pretty poor performance on occasion - some of which must be due to spotlight re-indexing on the "new" disk (now APFS). Guess High Sierra might not be ready for the primetime just yet! That said, I am hopeful that this release will become the new Snow Leopard, and clean up some of the rough edges of Sierra.

If I'm feeling brave I'll see if the disk utility thing is reproducible :-)

Cheers, Jon

So Disk Utility failed in exactly the same way when trying to run first aid. So I had to perform a forced shutdown and then rebooted into the recovery console: started disk utility and attempted to run first aid after mounting the SSD. It reported that the hard drive was broken (can't remember the exact message). Rebooting the system got me back to a "working"(?) install of High Sierra.

My concerns here are whether (1) APFS is broken, and the tools designed to fix it aren't working, (2) my SDD really is knackered (there was no sign of this with the previously working Sierra install), or worst of all (3) APFS is silently trashing my SDD in the background.

So what's it to be Apple? Should I carry on with testing this for you, at the risk of High Sierra trashing my hardware, I don't think I signed up to that!

Cheers, Jon

Sorry - just saw how the website autocorrected the **** out of my original post: here's the corrected bit....

....... APFS internal *SDD* (pci-e). Got the warning about the system being locked whilst this happened, then it *HUNG* at.......

This is expected behavior, and the dialog box that pops up informs you of this. The machine is supposed to appear "hung" because the boot volume is competely locked, and apps will not respond. I just left my machine alone for about 10 minutes and it finished, but while it was running the machine was unresponsive.

You could also reboot into the recovery partition, then run disk utility, if you wanted to avoid this.

Sorry, I pasted the dialog box screen shot into the response, but it didn't upload. Here is the text from the dialog box:

"First Aid needs to temporarily lock the boot volume.

You are about to run First Aid against the volume that is currently booted. In order to run First Aid, the boot volume must be frozen. This will result in apps not responding during the operation. This is completely normal and apps will begin responding with the operation has completed."

Tried single-user mode, fsck -fy failed with invalid fsroot... couldn't be verifed completely

Tried make a recovery USB to repair internal volume, fsck_asfs failed with live mode verification not supported

> completely

Was the pointer movable on screen?

Nope. Couldn't bring up the Force Quit Applications using Command Option Esc either. I kinda always expect different behavior like this with a Beta 1, so I just waited, and came back in like 10 minutes. It eventually finished.

Although the dialog box warns you of this, I'm hoping that in future versions they just keep a modal dialog box on the screen the whole time to make it more obvious.

Need help... apfs, startup disk High Sierra Beta 1. No more free disk space even though I freed up 100GB (and emtpied recycle bin.)

Disk Utility crashes while in Mac... When ran from recovery I get:

File system check exit code is 8

Restore the original state found as mounted.

File system repair or repair failed.

Operation failed...

Anyone know how to fix?

Hi,

I don't think this is working as expected. I ran first aid, it froze as before, and I left it "running" (the mouse was responsive) and the MBP rebooted by itself without warning (crashed?). Upon rebooting the progress bar moved to around 70% and has been stuck there for 30mins....either my SSD is toast, or there is something seriously wrong with disk utility (first aid) on High Sierra (Beta 2)...

WHat should I try next?

Best wishes,

Jon

HI,

tried rebooting into recovery, see message above.... I don't think this is expected behaviour.....

if I try this I get the following:

Repairing file system.

Volume was successfully unmounted.

Performing fsck_apfs -y /dev/rdisk2s1

FIle system check exit code is 8.

Restoring the original state found as mounted.

File system verify or repair failed.

Operation failed...

Not sure what to do, but it seems like I'm not alone in having this problem.

Anyone from Apple looking at these forums?

Best,

Jon

I've got exactly the same problem, and haven't got a clue how to fix it!

HI,

the plot thickens.....

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79385

it looks like you can fix the fack_apfs failing problem, by deleting the volume snapshots (when the system is booted), I ran the commands as root (sudo -s), but I'm not sure that was necessary. Then I rebooted into single user mode (cmd+s) and ran the file system check manually: fsck_apfs -y /dev/rdisk1s1

this took a while to complete....

note that whilst this may enable a manual fsck to work in single user mode, so provide confidence that the file system is probably okay, the disk utility (first aid) still fails in exactly the same way as before,

I'm beginning to think that apfs might be a bridge too far.....

Jon

Disk Utility use of fsck_apfs(8) to check the volume from which you booted will differ from the use of fsck_apfs(8) that is made when in single user mode.

Certainly, checks are bugged in some environments. For me, at least twice with 17A291j fsck_apfs(8) has been unable to complete a check of a locked-down file system. In that situation it's necessary to force off the Mac.

I bit the bullet and went for a clean install of macos High Sierra beta 2.

I rebooted from a USB installer, and wiped my Macintosh HD (ssd on mId-2014 Macbook Pro), when reformatting with APFS (encrypted) try as I might I could not get the installer to work. With regular APFS (*no* encryption) it installed fine, and guess what First Aid now works perfectly.

Draw your own conclusions.

Best wishes,

Jon