High Sierra - keyboard issue

Hi everyone,

When I used the beta of mac OS 10.12.X, I had some problem with my built-in keyboard after every update, but after doing this, it will work fine:

1) Turn off mac

2) Now turn on in recovery mode (⌘+R keys when turning on).

3) On the top of the screen, click on "Utilities tab" and choose Terminal.

4) Write "csrutil disable" in terminal and press enter

5) Reboot my mac

6) Go to System/Library/HIDPlugins/ and replace "IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin" with this one: IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin.zip

7) Enter in recovery mode again and in terminal write "csrutil enable" and press enter.

Now that I have mac OS 10.13 I can't solve this problem with the guide above!

I can't adjust brightness of the screen or keyboard, I can't change the volume from the keyboard... so I can't do nothing with the fn keys (from F1 to F12).

Another thing: If I try to change "modifier keys", it won't change anything, the keys do not work as I choose, they work by default .

Even if I logout from my account, the fn keys don't work.

This problem is on my macbook pro retina 15inch mid 2014.

I have another macbook pro retina 15inch 2016 with touch-bar and it has no problem at all.

Can please someone help? I don't know how to fix this. I tried to migrate my account from my 2016 macbook to the 2014, but it won't fix...

I know it's not a hardware issue because when I use the "keyboard character viewer", every F key (from F1 to F12, and the fn key) is showing when I press it.

Maybe if I do a clean mac OS 10.13 installation in this mac (2014) and then migrate again from my 2016 macbook, it will work?

Please help...

Replies

As a side note, has this machine ever been service? Some newer MBP store the localization of the keyboard in the trackpad and this sometimes gets reset and needs recalibration, especially after service. This controls how the keys show up in macOS. I might take your machine to an Apple Certified tech and have them recalibrate the trackapad/keyboard.

Thank you for your reply!

No, this machine has never been serviced.

But it's really strange, because I see in the keyboard character viewer that every key is working when pressed.

Surely it's a software problem and not hardware ...

Can please someone who have the macbook 15inch mid 2014 and have updated to 10.13, upload his "IOHIDKeyboardFilter.plugin" file?

You can find it in System/Library/HIDPlugins/

I noticed keyboard issues on my Macbook Pro under High Sierra. Keys intermittently stop working then magically work agan. Really weird behavior.

I noticed if I go to System Preferences-> Keyboard and add another Input Source (I have U.S, so I added Britian) the keys started to work again.

What I had to do was switch off slow keys and sticky keys in the accessibility preferences. It stopped my mac trying to save web archives everytime I pressed "s", "h" or the space bar. Other weird things happen still. Like photoshop is barely useable at the moment - forever falling over and unexpectedly quitting.