How to Allow App Users to Dynamically Set In-App Purchase Prices?

Dear Apple Dev Community,

I am trying to find some clarity about the doability our app's pricing model.

We are building an app that is based on user-generated content. For example,

create a story, add some pictures, list the story. Much of the content will

be generated for free. However, we want to give users the ability to charge for

premium content. Create a story, add some pictures, set a price, list the story.

As I understand it, allowing this kind of carte blanche price setting by our

community is not allowed by Apple. Each and every new story (or "product")

needs to be registered and confirmed via itunesconnect. Assuming I have that

right, we are considering building an approval admin panel. Users submit a story.

It goes into the approval queue. We manually register that story

as a new in-app purchase product on itunesconnect. Once confirmed, we

notify the user that the story will go live with the next version update.

So, here are my questions:

1) Am I correct that each new user-generated fixed-price story needs to be manually

listed with itunesconnect as an in-app purchase? Create and list is not possible?

2) Does the suggested approach (create an approval flow) sound like a reasonable solution?

Is there a better way to go? Would this work-around even be approved by Apple?

3) Finally, based on the above, what in-app purchase type is this? From the below link,

our approach seems closest to "non-consumable"?

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202023

Obviously, I am new to all this. Patience and guidance appreciated.

Regards,

Peter

Replies

If your app is successful then you will have many many IAPs and it will become a nightmare with long delays between submission and approval of the stories as the autor awaits App Review. You can instead use a consumable IAP in one of two ways.

1) create consumable IAPs at various prices. Allow a user to get access to a particular story if they purchase a consumable at that price point.

2) sell tokens. Allow the user to get access to a particular story if they exchange a certain number of tokens. Here the writer would submit a story to you.

It would also be possible to dynamically adjust the price point or the number of tokens required to gain access to a particular story based on various parameters - for example, a story starts out at 1 token. After 50 purchases it goes up to 2 tokens. Or have a reveiw system. A story with positive reviews requires more tokens.

Because the purchase is not really a consumable you will want some way of allowing a user to permanently record their purchase and share their purchase with other devices owned by teh same user. You can use the user's iCloud key-value file to do that.

If you are set on live user pricing, the easiest scheme for all involved would be built around your own server and 3rd party billing.

Besides the hurdles listed by PBK, have you polled your users to see how they feel about receiving 70% of the pricing they'd choose as part of the process (assuming pass-thru w/0 to you); what happens with refunds and; how do you expect to distribute revenue from Apple to you to users, including who accepts any tax burden post-payout; what are your plans for content moderation, content ownership, and distribution control outside of the app?

I have same kind of app for readers.
All the above solution is not a proper sustainable solution this shows how forcefully apple wants users to use their product even that is not capable doing what we need.

If on Android users can buy their book directly just entering their card or by UPI or wallet and here we are forcing to use this process.

If you are telling to use your product at-least make that minimal compatible to the users requirement and Apple are taking lots of $Dollars for the registration but they take 1 or 2 week in response of one query.

Please Apple at-least give the response quickly or make the reasonable boundation.