67 Replies
      Latest reply on Nov 17, 2017 12:47 AM by mschmahl
      marchantaa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I just noticed that the beta is hammering my battery on my 7 plus.  I started about 4 hours ago with a full charged battery.  Normal day to day functions dropped me to 40% in about 3 hours.  Definitly more taxing than IOS10 at this point. It is something that they will need to address fairly soon I imagine.

• Re: iOS 11 Battery Life
          utahwithak Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Ditto. 6s here, dropped from 60% to 19% over the course of 3 hours. Very bad battery life currently.

Ash-Bash Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same my iPhone 6s went from 100% to 29% in 4 hours but I know From when I Get up to going to bed using iOS 10 it usually goes from 100% to 50-40% which I use it for around 9ish hours ofcause not constant use but it seems to drain faster after iOS 11

maxxzz Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. iPhone 7, usually end my day at more than 60%. Today (first day with iOS 11 Beta) finished my day with 12%, and I used my phone much less than usual (busy day). If anyone is concerned before using iOS 11: yes, it drains the battery a ton as of June 6th iOS 11 (15A5278f).

Hdtime Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have plugged in my iPhone 7 2 times today. Very taxing on the battery. Any ideas on what settings to use?  My watch won’t last long enough to complete the rings without recharging with the new update.

DavinLaksana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Im using 6s plus right now . And with ios 10 , ussualy i just see 100% down to 90% around 1 hour untill 1hour 30 minutes . But with ios 11, only 50 minutes . So i feel my phone battery drain . Hmm hope it will be fix by apple

um68 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

that is normal (and almsot expected) for early beta versions - probably due to tons of additional logging and debug info, ... etc.  From past experience, starting around beta3 or beta4 battery life goes back to normal (though the last two years it was exceptional good from fairly early on, maybe beta2)

AppleUser20023 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same for me on my iPod touch 6th gen, If I completely charge it, it will drop to 13 % in aproximatively 1:45 if I use it non-intensively.

bcnbt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Can you guys connect to xCode and run Activity Monitor and see what processes are using the CPU? I'm seeing that a process called medianalysisd is using 60-70% of the CPU even when phones display is off. That could be our issue!

KMT Level 9 Level 9 (15,095 points)

>It is something that they will need to address fairly soon I imagine.

What if they're doing it as part of the beta?

Battery/power management is routinely prioritized down during early beta cycles. Worry if issues manifest later and/or w/the public release.

ked1012 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I noticed it with my 7 plus as well. Typically I can go from 8am-8pm and have approximately 50% battery at the end of my day. Started it at 8am yesterday and by 2pm I was at 25%.

AstroCat Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am having the same  issue on my iPhone 7Plus, usually i can go from 5am until 3pm and have about 30% left, but my phone has been dying around noon!! I hope that the problem gets resolved with future updates. If anyone knows if the battery life issue will be resolved, i'd love to know.

mladd Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

This is typical of all of the first few betas for as long as they have had developer betas.  Nothing is “wrong”. Once beta 3 or 4 is out it should be closer to normal.

Hdtime Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I noticed that Messages in iCould is running continuously with no progress.

IOS 10 Beta 2 Public kills battery life

iOS 9 Beta battery life

iOS 8 Beta battery life

iOS 7 Beta battery life

iOS 6 Beta battery life

iOS 5 Beta battery life

...see a trend?

Thanks to all for helping test, but if borked battery management crimps your roll you should avoid betas like a mule that won't wake up, at least the early ones. There is nothing to be 'fixed' when power management is disabled as part of the process.

Mcomeau334 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

i agree with KMT. Even some of the public betas of iOS 10 killed batteries. It is rough on iOS 11, but not a surprise. My iPad Pro 9.7 usually gets 12 to 15 hours of moderate use before Needing a charge, about 4 to 6 with beta 11.  Also, trying to keep in mind that I’m using the iPad more, playing with the new features.

I Like it so far.

Tenhagena Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

From my experience, my photos app has been doing heavy background processing, I think it’s re scanning faces or converting video formats, low power mode or disabling background activity of the photos app fixes it.

alpahmacguru Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am using IOS 11 on my iPad Pro 9.7. On IOS 10 I was getting 2 days of use between charges. So far on the preview 11, it seems about the same. I am using it to play internet radio, games, and videos.

emmdeesingh Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I am also facing the same issue. Battery life has been dropped for mu iPhone 6S

Mrfearless Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

i’m seeing the same bad battery life on mt iPhone 6s, my iPad Pro 9.7, and my Apple Watch 2.  Battery depletion is at about twice the rate as IOS 10.3.  Example:  I can wear my watch all day without the battery dropping below 85%.  Today, I,ve worn the watch for 6 hours, doing nothing except checking the time and I’m at 59%.  My phone drpped from 100% to about 50% without taking it from my pocket.  Gotta do better than this.

>Gotta do better than this.

It's a beta - be happy it works at all

Ross Kinard Level 2 Level 2 (55 points)

I've had my Series 2 watch with watchOS 4 on for 7 hours and I've dropped to 97% doing the same...checking time, usual meeting reminders, etc.

My iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11 Beta 2 has been in use the same amount of time, using it for occasional text messages, checking email when away from laptop, etc. and I'm down to 82% battery.

Not sure what the differences in our devices are, but from my perspective the betas are solid and minimal impact to battery life. Submit bug reports and logs so they can trace down what the differences are and tackle those issues in later builds.

skybolt Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I was down to 40% by 11 AM, ... as expected. I knew I'd be tethered to a power cord for the duration of at least this first beta.

What I wasn't expecting (but am not surprised, or upset) is that when using CarPlay, it's not quite enough juice to keep ahead of the discharge. On the other hand, the new speed limit signs in Apple Maps (must have an active route) on the car stereo screen is worth every electron.

mfrooo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have an iphone 5s. it runs 2 minutes at max while it has been on the charger all night. i ruined my ipad mini 2 too. that just runs about 20 seconds.

deutch1976 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I there. I also had this battery drain problem on my 5s and i saw that "messages in iCloud" in settings was always trying to refresh and didn't stop. I removed the automatically save messages and for now the battery drain stoped. Hope it helps you guys. Report your results please

EDIT: After stoping this process it starts again after a few minutes but when it is off the battery drain stops. How to kill this task permanently?

RyanKassem Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The battery drains much faster you are right but its because always ios's first beta is still having bugs and problems such as battery drain

Sergex89 Level 2 Level 2 (30 points)

The battery drains faster but it's due to the Beta. I hope in the next release the problem should be fixed.

aardWolf Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

My particular battery issue comes and goes.  It actually drains so fast that a USB 2.0 charger is unable to keep up with it (so the percentage still falls slowly even while plugged in.)

It appears to be something that "happens" to the phone instead of something that happens all the time.  I noticed it was happening this morning on beta 2, and rebooted the phone.  It has now lost 2% in the past three hours.  Previously it would have lost 30% just sitting there.

microdoc Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I have noticed this as well. Using Anker IQ charger definitely helps. I have started using my iPhone 7+ for geocaching and the navivation apps kill my battery in several hours. Using a backup battery helps but the phone gets hot enough to fry eggs...

DavinLaksana Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Any one having lag issue you can try ios 11 beta 2 , after installing ios 11 beta 2 , i feel lag free . Animation so smooth . Im very happy right now

tbrass84 Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Phone battery has dropped 20% in less than two hours of standby and 1 hour 17 minutes usage. Just installed either of betas for first time today, so think it is indexing issue or beta issue?

overlordx Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same problem here with battery drain in an iPhone 7 Plus.  I noticed that the App that I was running in Debug mode would not properly close.  So, there may be a problem with other applications not closing, which would account for the battery drain issue.

Pete2481 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yep, battery has dropped 50% or more of normal usage. And also doesn’t charge as fast on my car charger anymore. I’m constantly leaving my Phone in battery saving mode just to get through the day.... please make this a big issue to fix Apple and fast. Killing me

Faraajalmo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Installed the iOS 11 beta update last night. Left on charge over night. Have been out of the house since 1pm, using phone normally (which is pretty much 90% of the time), battery has only dropped to 92% and it is now 7pm. That’s 6 hours of moderate use and barely any drop I battery life. Not sure what settings I have my phone on but it seems to be saving the battery life.

obrien247 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same here. ios 11 also deleted 7 months of my photos and videos in my icloud account as well. Be careful

cmukuk Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

The beta update absolutely destroyed my seven month old iPhone 7 Plus... Downgraded back to 10.3.3 but was left with a phone that no longer functions.

Cant say I have experienced anything like this with previous BETA builds I've installed on numerous devices but booked in with the apple store today to hussle a new phone... Needless to say I will never install another beta os. Very disapointed they could put out something so damaginging to hardware.

ajaypa Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Agree! Since I started using iOS 11, my battery drains within 2-3 hours now when before I used to be able to go until the end of the day. I even got my battery replaced (other issues) but even the new battery drains way too quickly. As some of the other users have stated, my phone is also VERY HOT when used for more than 10-15 minutes at a time.

WilsonB Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Mine is even worse. On iOS 10 I would be on ESPN all day and it would still take me 8-10 hours for battery to die (heavy ESPN usage). With iOS 11 beta my phone goes from 100 to 0 in 2-3 hours. This only happens on safari.

AUTigerinBham Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Seeing the same issue on iPad and Iphone 6s

Jacob5_6 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Me too. Battery drains very quickly. I currently have a 5s. Charges so fast and gets hot but battery life is bad. I got rid of the beta just because if the battery. Everything but the battery is great.

Razormaid Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just upgraded to beta 8. Whoa!!!  Battery was at 99% 45 minutes ago. Now down to 48%. Seriously. If I could post a timelaise movie I would just to prove it. Honestly I do not remember this being this bad up through beta 7. My roommate had his phone plugged in all night. When he pulled it off the charger it said 36%. I checked his connection the battery icon green bar comes on so it’s draining while charging?  I couldn’t believe my eyes. While we talked about it maybe 3 minutes it dropped to 17%. What??? We can’t be the only two developers having this issue. This is completely unacceptable especially  for a beta just 2 weeks away from on world wide release

Diaz S Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

After updating to iOS 11, I was quite happy to explore some of the amazing features released by Apple in new update. While exploring it I noticed that my iPhone 7 battery drained too fast from 100% to almost 50% within half an hour. why apple is not working on this issue. When will they fix it?

Later on I searched on google about this and got some amazing ways to fix iOS 11 battery drain issues.

ryanstuart Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Within a month of Apple’s iOS 11 update, it was already installed on more devices than Oreo the latest version of Android. Apple’s iOS 11 is packed with plenty of new features, bug fixes, major interface overhaul (which everyone secretly hates!) and a lot more for iPhone and iPad users to enjoy. It’s not so sunny however, as many users are now running into iOS 11 battery life problems. Prior to the update, battery life lasted more than a day, almost two before needing to charge again.

Most of the complaints seem to be coming from people with older iPhone models like the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus. There are plenty of iPhone 8 users aggravated by the battery drain. How to fix iOS 11 battery life problems? But dont worrry, Apple will release software updates to fix iOS 11 battery issues. In the meantime, you can try these few tricks and tips to fix iOS 11 battery problems.

CJ_300 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Yes I’m having a battery problems since the iOS 11.0.3 update . I have the iPhone 6s and my life phone be on 100% and dies and goes to 10% .. then I connect it to the charger and restart it  and it goes to 100 again .

onuoha12 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

After months and months of beta, iOS 11 is finally here – and it’s a huge update. In particular, Apple has hidden many small features that can not be seen immediately.

If you want to impress all your friends with your MAD iOS skills, here is a list of some of these features. I also wrote a brief and sweet review of iOS 10 if you want to know more about all incoming changes with iOS 11.

TechLeo Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Since I have (IOS 11) my battery life has gone so bad on my IPhone 8. I have charged it during the night, And then it has dropped to 2%. They really have to fix this.

Shahzad Asghar Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Bettry life

Bryceroni Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I’m having the same issue. I charged my iphone 6s plus to 100% last night. And have only been using it for 2 hours this morning, and it’s already gone down to 20%. Something is definitely wrong.

itsankita01 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same is happening with my iphone 7(ios 11), from 100% to 20% in a span of 4 hrs.

mschmahl Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Same for me on iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 11.2 beta 3!

With beta 2 my iPhone worked about 2 days without recharging.

Now I have to recharge twice a day.