disk space not freeing

Immediatelly after installing 10.13 Beta (17A264c) whatever I deleted from boot disk (converted to APFS), it never freed any space. I deleted some 25 GB and still got warnings that I cannot decompress XCode 9 installer. Did the same on SD card (delete some 20 GB, copied the xip there, decompressed, no problem. Looks like deleting data on HFSX works fine, but not on the boot disk in APFS.

Unfortunatelly additions of data (like the Xcode) still register, so I am quickly running out of disk space.

Replies

Having exactly the same problem. Deleted tons of stuff and the system still show around 3GB and get disk full error messages every now and again

Already filed a bug report on this

Also experiencing this problem. I have 20GB free but the Xcode 9 installer always fails to decompress. 😟

Yup....officially ran out of space...even deleted my 130GB photo library and got back 0Kb of free space 😢

Yeah got the same very annoying issue

This thread covers related issues:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79609

I'm having this exact same issue. Has made the computer nearly unusable, so I'm backing up everything important to an external disk (*not* APFS formatted), and will do a clean reinstall using HFS+. As much as I want to be on the modern filesystem, I never had any major problems with HFS+, and I have Time Machine backups in case something DOES go awry. I'll retry APFS after a few more betas (or whenever it's confirmed that this issue is resolved), or just wait for the GM release. There's no rush to switch over just yet.

Same problem, no more disk space. But I think it's becaue the file system is corrupted. Time Machine wont backup anymore, Carbon Copy beta is reporting all kinds of errors (though it's first beta), Disk Utility First Aid crashes when ran from within macOS, and I get the follow error when ran from Recovery partition:

File system check exit code is 8

Restore the original state found as mounted.

File system repair or repair failed.

Operation failed...

What's the workaround until Apple fixes this? Anyone succesffully revert back?

What worked for me was to restore the backup from before I upgraded to macOS High Sierra and then upgrade to macOS Sierra again without converting the SSD to APFS

Exact same thing happened to me. Bad one, Apple!

My machine is a MBP 15" Retina/thunderbolt 2, with an 1TB Apple SSD.

More details on my case at https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/79609

I have the exact same problem!!

ME TOO!!!!!

I'm having this issue again, too, and I'm currently on macOS 10.13.4 (17E199). This was a HUGE issue before the official 10.13 release, and I've been ok since it's been fixed in the subsequent beta releases.. I actually steered clear of the beta release channel when 10.13.4 was officially released so I wouldn't have any issues, and of all the things that could happen, it's this. My Finder is showing I've got 221.42 GB of free disk space, with 216.69 GB purgeable. But the purgeable space isn't freeing up on me. I'm going to try installing 10.13.5 beta 2 (Build 17F45c) to see if it's been addressed and will reply here with my findings...

Just following up, I'm not having this issue on macOS 10.13.5 Build 17F45c.