How do I get started with HLS?

Hello, my name is Stephen. I am wondering hands down, how do I get started with HLS? I have been reading day in and day out but I can't find anything on how to get started. I want to know what what exactly do I need to use HLS. Is there an HTTP Live Stream for dummies? How does my live video get from me to the client? Do I need special software? Do I need a web server? How does someoene who knows nothing about live streaming get started? I want to learn every step from literally the camera to watching it through an iPhone/Webpage/iPad/etc.

Replies

1) Get a web server working. You can host it on your laptop.

2) Get some video. Shoot some with your phone if nothing else. (Don't worry about live yet, get started with static video.)

3) Grab the tool set from developer.apple.com/streaming (follow the link on the page)

4) Segment up the video using the mediafilesegmenter tool

5) Put the segmented files on your web server

6) Try to play that.

Once you get a simple static video playing with HLS, elaborate it.

Learn about master playlists, generating multiple resolutions/bit-rates, generating subtitles, alternate audio, etc.

Then research third-party tools that will generate live HLS for you. Rolling your own is possible, but probably not the best use of your time.