Custom localization

Hi,

My app is localized, but it was localized in a very custom way using a language database provided by our customer. So it doesn't have the usual language files or storyboards, and there are no entries listed under "Localizations" in the project editor except English.

Is this OK? Specifically, does the app store somehow detect which languages the app supports via this setting, and list the app differently? Should I simply add empty localizations for all of the supported languages, or is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,

Frank

Replies

Is this OK?

Yes, but you have to be careful. You need to make sure that the system knows about the app’s localisations so that it knows what language the app is running in. Without this, system UI elements displayed by the app will show up in the wrong language.

You can do this using

CFBundleLocalizations
. See QA1828 How iOS Determines the Language For Your App for more background on that.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thanks. I ended up adding a localized version of my LaunchScreen for each language that I support, which generates the .lproj directories that iOS is looking for.

Frank

Well, that’s one way to do it, but be aware that localised launch screens are not recommended. To quote the HIG:

Avoid including text on your launch screen. Because launch screens are static, any displayed text won’t be localized.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"