SKTileMapNode fadeout/in errors

Hi All,

I am working on a project which has 3 SKTileMapNode defined of size 96 X 8 (Tile Size 128 X 128)

102 X 8 (Tile Size 128 X 128)

206 X 6 (Tile Size 64 X 64)

The problem is that when I try to fade down the WorldNode to which everything else is a child some of the SKTileMapNodes do not fade down? then when I fade up from a black screen back into the game some of the SKTileMapNodes are not appearing and the suddenly pop back up. I can only assume that fadeing out large TileMaps is a problem or have I missed something?

Accepted Reply

Instead of fading everything out, it'll be less taxing on Sprite Kit to fade in a solid color, like black. So a run time you just create an SKSpriteNode with a color, put it's Zdepth above everything, start the alpha at 0, then fade that in.

Replies

Instead of fading everything out, it'll be less taxing on Sprite Kit to fade in a solid color, like black. So a run time you just create an SKSpriteNode with a color, put it's Zdepth above everything, start the alpha at 0, then fade that in.

Thanks 🙂 I did begin to think that fading down lage TileMapNodes was to big an overhead. Thanks again for the laterial thinking.😉

I loved this idea of using the black sprite node however it still presented issues for me when transitioning between two "scenes" that contain SKTileMapNodes.

So what I do is have a wrapper node that is a subclass of SKSpriteNode. When I want a tiled background, I create an instance of this class that internally creates an SKTileMapNode that is never actually presented. Once that SKTileMapNode is created, I then create a texture from it and initialise my wrapper object using that texture.

From then on, it is a simple SKSpriteNode that obeys the alpha like all good SpriteKit nodes should, and I don't have to do any fiddles with black nodes.

p.s. I can't believe (though I should by now) that Apple have not been able to bring themselves to fix this after 6 years.