When I expire a build does it stop working immediately?

It's not clear to me, when I upload a new beta and it's approved for beta testing, and I expire the older build, does the older build stop working for users who are currently testing it?

• Apple Support confirmed that an expired build will cease to work period. This also means that developers can no longer access the build for debugging purpose, such as a crash reported on the build.

• @jeancachu, that has not been my experience. I have a TestFlight build that has been expired, yet it can still be run.

Add a Comment

Replies

Old post, but I don't see a clear or correct answer posted, or the behavior may have changed since this was posted so putting this out there...

Manually expiring a build in TestFlight only prevents a user from installing an older build. See:

Stop testing a build

Key phrase:

"Internal testers and external testers will no longer be able to install this build."

Says nothing about preventing a build from running, just that they can't install it. Working with TestFlight on my own devices and apps, I've had very old builds that I "expired" that continue to work.

Make sure you communicate to your testers that they need to update the app every time they receive a "new build available" notification.

• This should be marked as the correct answer.

Add a Comment