swift future versions?

I've been trying to learn Swift, and much of the code examples and information I've found relates to Swift 2, and doesn't work with Swift 3 without modification.

Several Xcode projects retain fatal errors when Xcode tries to update the Swift code, too.

My question is, are we likely to see this process being repeated regularly, with Swift 4.0 and 5 and 6...?

If so, that's a major turn-off for using the language. I don't really want to check and modify all my code every year.

Replies

Swift is still maturing. Best to keep that in mind. You're effectively an early adopter, thus the risk. It's called 'development' for a reason 😉

Good news is that w/Swift 3.x, that curve has flattened a bit, so in your example, I'd not use <3.0 as a strict predictor vis-a-vis ≥3.0. Things will continue to mature, but not as harshly as they have up to now, perhaps.

Otherwise, your question(s) might have more traction on swift.org, I think.

There’s a definite plan for Swift 4 and it specifically calls out source code compatibility as a major goal. Beyond that it’s hard to say; the best way to ensure that Swift evolves in a way that meets your needs is to get involved in the Swift evolution process.

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"