Can't setup Apple Pay on macOS Sierra with sandbox account

I am setting up Apple Pay for the web on our web sites. We have bought a new test device (newest iPad) and I've logged into that with our sandbox user. I've successfully added a test Visa card as per the docs. I also want to setup macOS so we can test on there, too, but I can't seem to do it.

I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 2015, so no touch bar, but handoff is enabled. I created a new user account on the MacBook and logged into iCloud with the sandbox user, just like the iPad, and everything seems to by synced up nicely, apart from payments. How do I get the MacBook to allow me to make payments with the sandbox account?

Here are some possibly relevant points:

• In my iPad's Wallet & Apple Pay settings there isn't an "Allow payments on Mac" option anywhere
  • There is no Wallet & Payments option in my macOS Settings app
  • There is no mention of Apple Pay in macOS Safari settings, privacy tab
  • Handoff is enabled on the Mac and I see the handoff icons on both devices, and Universal Clipboard is working on both devices as expected

I have another user account using a non-sandbox iCloud account on the same MacBook, using handoff with different iOS devices obviously, and this is showing the payment options as expected.

Am I missing something obvious?

--

Incidentally I am using Stripe. The method below shows true on the iOS device, but false on macOS:

Stripe.applePay.checkAvailability(function(available) {
  alert(available);

--

Note: Cross-post from Stack-Overflow to try increase exposure: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/43611472/how-do-you-test-apple-pay-in-safari