No "Uninstall" button in my Safari App Extension

Hi,

There is no "Uninstall" button in my Safari App Extension.

Do I need to add a specific key in the extension's info.plist to enable the uninstall ?

I cannot find information anywhere.

The extension is not distributed through the store or the gallery.

Thanks, Shoola.

Replies

Safari App Extensions don't have an uninstall button in Safari Extension Preferences. The way to uninstall the extension is to delete the app from your system.

If there is some reason you want an uninstall button for your extension - please file a radar explaining how it would be helpful for you, I'd very much like to know!

I've actually been encountering the same issue. If I delete my entire project folder, the extension still appears in the extensions list (when `Allow Unsigned Extensions` > enabled). Any idea how I can delete it and remove it from the list? I've got a few now that need to be deleted...I'm new to Apple development / Safari development and apologize if this is easier than it appears! Thank you for reading! 🙂

You should just be able to move the app bundle to the trash, and that will delete your Safari App Extension.

Additionally, if you download the latest version of Safari Technology Preview, App Extensions now have an Uninstall button in preferences that will allow you to go to the app in Finder and move it to the Trash yourself.

I agree with twknab. Moving the app to the trash does not remove the extension. My customers are experiencing the same problem.

If you are talking about another file location, please let us know where to find these app bundles or at least have some documentation about it.

Expected behaviour: Moving /Applications/MyApp.app to the trash should automatically remove the app extension that was installed.

After moving the app to the trash, will the extension be removed from the list if you quit and relaunch Safari?

If so, this is a known issue, but filing a radar about it (no sysdiagnose needed) would help us prioritize the work.

Thanks!

Brian

Hi Shoola,

There should be an Uninstall button for Safari App Extensions in the latest beta of macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. It won't move your app to the Trash automatically, but it will reveal it in the Finder and tell the user how to perform the action.

Thanks!

Brian