XC Bots Can't Find Simulators

This has happened more than once.

This time occurred relatively soon after an upgrade of Xcode from 8.3 to 8.3.2.

However, not immediately after because we saw no problems with the bots for the remainder of that day.
We run Server 5.3.

The problem:

Bots keep failing due to "The devices configured for testing were not found." though those bots were running happily before.

We have dozens of bots. "Edit bot..." on any bot and check "Devices"

We only run CI tests on two simulators, so I want to set to run on those and exclude all others.

Select "Specific iOS Devices" and I'm told "No devices found" though a check under Window > Devices shows a huge list of available simulators.

Opening Simulator also reveals the list of devices.
In Xcode under Product > Destination > iOS Simulators, I see everything I expect.

Only the bots cannot connect to the simulators, which defeats the utility of having bots.

Following various advice found around the internet (restarting Xcode, xcrun simctl erase all, rebooting the system entirely, deleting userdata from the project file) have all failed to let my bots see the simulators. I haven't tried reinstalling Xcode, but we just upgraded to a new version Wednesday, and it has been working. It is a sudden occurance and has happened twice now in three months.

Replies

>It is a sudden occurance and has happened twice now in three months.

>This time occurred relatively soon after an upgrade of Xcode from 8.3 to 8.3.2.

If a specific simulator device does not appear in the list of Selected Devices, I would confirm the sim installs on the server. This includes paths and permissions. Check the server logs for borked connections if you can time stamp the fallout.

Further investigation showed the following:

• Deleting com.apple.dt.Xcode.plist from /Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Preferences
  • Deleting /CoreSimulator from /Library/Develoepr and ~/Library/Developer

Doing the above resulted in the same issue, unless I waited for a long time. THEN the simulator list would populate and a bot could run.

However!

Removing an unneeded Simulator from the Devices window resulted in the original problem re-occuring.

So, it appears that XCBots are fragile to modifications to the Device list, as can be seen when:

• Updating Xcode to support the newest iOS (and therefore the newest iOS Simulator)
  • Manually modifying the Devices list

Doing either of these actions appears to result in XCBot losing the ability to see the installed Simulators.

To support this theory, I installed the 9.3 Simulator after seeing success on the bots.
After installing a new Simulator, XCBots lost their ability to see the Simulator list again

UPDATE:

Downgrading to Xcode 8.3.1 fixed the problem. I'm filing a bug report on this today.

SNChristopher,

Hey this Regina. I wanted to find out if it was an update coming directly from the integrtion side fo Apple when the Xcode update was available for the Developer to undertake. Did you guys have the Quality Assurance Team align during the phases of the project or was this done for personal experimentat and not an actual job opening that was projected on behalf of the Team from Apple.

Please advise.

Cheers,

R

Hi Regina,

I'm sorry, I'm having trouble understanding what you're asking. 😕

The update was an Xcode update, from v8.3.1 to v8.3.2. Server remained unchanged at v5.2

v8.3.1 bots sometimes lose connection to available simulators, as I experienced yesterday in staged testing.

I don't know what you mean by the "Quality Assurance Team align during the phases of th project."
We have a CI server built on Server 5.2, macOS 10.12.4, Xcode 8.3.1

After upgrading to Xcode 8.3.2, server bots could not connect to the simulator and all CI tests failed.

This doesn't have anything to do with any QA team, but this is real work being done for the company, not a personal project.

So, this issue has broken a very important workflow that held up a team of engineers.

Not a trivial matter.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

I'm facing the exact same issue right now, but after an update from Xcode 8.3.2 to 8.3.3

This happened to us after upgrading our server to the lastest Sierra (10.12.5).

I tried upgrading and downgrading xcode (8.3.2->8.3.1->8.3.3 etc).

We updated the server software to latest.

We recreated bots, turned the server on/off. Restarted the mac multiple times.

The only thing that resolved it for us was this:

sudo xcscontrol --reset

This is a fairly destructive reset of the server software. You have to rebuild all your bots, you lose build history. Whatever you've configured on OSX server you'll have to reconfigure. etc etc.

I'm facing the exact same issue after upgrading to Xcode 8.3.3

Is anyone else facing the same issue?

My bot's edit screen simply won't get the list of simulators from Xcode 8.3.3

This is frustrating, and I can't upgrade to Xcode 9 and it's integrated server yet, because it's in beta.

I hope the XCODE team at Apple is following this thread.

Can you share the rdar number? I'd like to report another bug regarding our Xcode 9 CI and would like to provide a hint to the xcode developers that this might actually be a duplicate. Thanks a lot.

I have a similar issue, https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/700583?login=true. I tried Xcode 13.2.1 and 13.3 beta 2. Does somebody know the solution?