CommonCrypto unmaintained and unsupported?

I have completed a project for a client, which uses CommonCrypto - but could use any other framework easily. This was purely based on performance and maintainability requirement.

To my amazement, the client came back with this "profesional" assesment - probably done by one of his team ios developers:

“I’m quite amazed you’ve based your entire project on commonCrypto given it’s a dead library and will not be updated by the library development team”

Now - my question to Apple engineers, and evangelists here - please help me here. What's the current official stance on this?

As far as I can tell, every WWDC video session I have seen on security - pretty much tells us to use CommonCrypto.

Thanks !

Accepted Reply

CommonCrypto is the recommended API for low-level crypto operations (including symmetric encryption, cryptographic hashing, MACs, and key derivation) on all our platforms. I can personally vouch for it being supported; I’m one of the DTS engineers who supports it!

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Replies

CommonCrypto is the recommended API for low-level crypto operations (including symmetric encryption, cryptographic hashing, MACs, and key derivation) on all our platforms. I can personally vouch for it being supported; I’m one of the DTS engineers who supports it!

Share and Enjoy

Quinn “The Eskimo!”
Apple Developer Relations, Developer Technical Support, Core OS/Hardware

let myEmail = "eskimo" + "1" + "@apple.com"

Thank You, Quinn !