App Thinning / Slicing totally useless?

I'm developing an app that opimize the user interface for different display size: 3,5'' / 4'' / 4,7'' / 5,5''.

I'm using a different set of images for each display type, so I've followed the "App Thinning" WWDC lecture in order to stay below the 100MB IPA.

The lecture start well:

- you can produce an asset for both images and datas, good!

- you can integrate it with existing process using the Content.json, very good!

- you can clusterize resources basing to the RAM size (???) and Metal version, mmmh ok...

BUT, despite being a display related mechanism (assets mainly should manage images) it is NOT POSSIBILE distinguish between display size, resolution, or other than the scale (1x. 2x, 3x).

So 3,5'' / 4'' / 4,7'' that share the same scale CANT be clustered.

Change the current app layout management in order to un-optimize the display specific optimization is NOT an option for me.

How it is supposed to do that?

Am I missing something?

Thanks for all suggestions!

Replies

If you were managing your assets manually, the iPhone/iPod Touch device height optimized images would be identified by a height-specific suffix used in addition to to the usual 2x and 3x suffixes.

If you specify in your asset catalog which devices (tall, fat, skinny or whatever iPhone) the image is for, app slicing should take care of it.

Thanks for your reply,

the point is that in the assets options I cant specify "tall, fat, skinny" device.

The only available options are:

- iPhone/iPad/Watch/etc

- 1GB/2GB/4GB

- Metal1,2,3,...

And there are "Height Class" with a very promising name but unintelligible values: Any, Compact and Regular...

No answer for the original question...