Can you tell me how to speed up the function?

I have created the following kernel function to find the average and variance for each feature map in each image (ex. 160 x 92 x 128 (width, height, depth(feature map), but it is very slow. Let me know if there's a way to improve the speed. Below is a sample code

kernel void calculate_avgA(texture2d_array<float, access::read> texture_in [[texture(0)]],
                          texture2d_array<float, access::write> texture_out [[texture(1)]],
                          uint3 tid [[thread_position_in_grid]])
{
    int width = texture_in.get_width();
    int height = texture_in.get_height();
    int depth = texture_in.get_array_size();
    float4 outColor;

uint3 kernelIndex(0,0,0);
    uint3 textureIndex(0,0,0);

for(int k = 0; k < depth; k++) {
        outColor = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0);
        for (int i=0; i < width; i++)
        {
            for (int j=0; j < height; j++)
            {
                kernelIndex = uint3(i, j, k);
                textureIndex = uint3(tid.x + i, tid.y + j, tid.z + k);
                float4 color = texture_in.read(textureIndex.xy, textureIndex.z).rgba;
                outColor += color;
            }
        }
        outColor = outColor / (width * height);
        texture_out.write(float4(outColor.rgba), tid.xy, textureIndex.z);
    }
}

-(void) calculateArrAvgFromSrc : (MPSImage *)srcMPSImage dstImage:(MPSImage *)dstMPSImage buffer:(id <MTLCommandBuffer>) commandBuffer {

/

id <MTLTexture> underlyingSrcTexture = [srcMPSImage texture];
    id <MTLTexture> underlyingDstTexture = [dstMPSImage texture];

NSUInteger srcWidth = [underlyingSrcTexture width];
    NSUInteger srcHeight = [underlyingSrcTexture height];
    NSUInteger srcArrayLength = [underlyingSrcTexture arrayLength];

/
    static dispatch_once_t onceToken;
    static id <MTLFunction> upsampleFunction = nil;
    static id <MTLComputePipelineState> computePipelineState = nil;

/
    dispatch_once (&onceToken, ^{
        upsampleFunction = [_defaultLibrary newFunctionWithName:@"calculate_avgA"];
        computePipelineState = [_device newComputePipelineStateWithFunction:upsampleFunction error:nil];
    });

assert(upsampleFunction);
    assert(computePipelineState);

/
    id <MTLComputeCommandEncoder> computeCommandEncoder = [commandBuffer computeCommandEncoder];
    [computeCommandEncoder setComputePipelineState:computePipelineState];
    [computeCommandEncoder setTexture:underlyingSrcTexture atIndex:0];
    [computeCommandEncoder setTexture:underlyingDstTexture atIndex:1];

/
    MTLSize numThreadgroups = {(1) , (1 ) , srcArrayLength };
    MTLSize numThreadsPerThreadgroup = {1, 1, srcArrayLength};
    printf("Executing with numThreadgroups = {%lu %lu %lu}, numThreadsPerThreadgroup = {%lu %lu %lu}\n",
           (unsigned long)numThreadgroups.width, (unsigned long)numThreadgroups.height, (unsigned long)numThreadgroups.depth,
           (unsigned long)numThreadsPerThreadgroup.width, (unsigned long)numThreadsPerThreadgroup.height, (unsigned long)numThreadsPerThreadgroup.depth);

[computeCommandEncoder dispatchThreadgroups:numThreadgroups threadsPerThreadgroup:numThreadsPerThreadgroup];
    [computeCommandEncoder endEncoding];
}

Replies

hello soo, I am trying to find a way to implement instance normalization.

have you found a faster way to implement this? May I know how long duration does the above code take to run?

your thread and threadGroup is not optimized

I found some code of metal to sum all data and the result is pretty fast, maybe we could utilize this. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/38164634/compute-sum-of-array-values-in-parallel-with-metal-swift

hi minipeach, have you done calculating average and variance using metal compute shader before? if yes, could you please share more guide please.. thank you.

You can use MPSCNNPoolingAverage with a kernel that is as wide and tall as the input image. This is a quick and easy way to compute the mean of each channel.

Then you use a custom kernel to compute (x - mean)^2 for each pixel. Then run another MPSCNNPoolingAverage to get the variances.