Xcode Server does not work with osx applications

Is it not possible to use Xcode Server Bots with OSX applications? I ran a simple bot with one test, which works fine in Xcode, but on the Xserver the test hangs and I eventually get the Build Service Issue:

Terminated xcodebuild since it produced no output for too long.

This type of issue is the same sort of thing that happens if you try to run "xcodebuild test" through ssh without a connection to the Window Server. That makes sense, but if that's true then there is no way to test OSX applications, because xctest always starts up the app (which tries to open a window) to run a test.

Running XServer 4.1, and Xcode 6.3.2

Easy to replicate:

1. In Xcode, create a new "Cocoa Application" project (File->New->Project...)

2. Set the default scheme to be Shared (Manage Schemes)

3. Commit the project to your repository

4. Create a Bot (Product->Create Bot...). Accept all the default settings, including "Immediate Integration"

5. Wait for the integration to finish... and wait... and wait...

Expected result: All tests pass

Actual result: Get a "Build Service Error"

Accepted Reply

By bad. I didn't even check to see that the test server had no display. Hooking up a display to the server fixed the problem

Replies

By bad. I didn't even check to see that the test server had no display. Hooking up a display to the server fixed the problem

Please file a bug. It should be a fairly simple fix to make Xcode server detect the lack of a screen and report it in a sensible way, rather than timing out when the app fails to launch.