10.12.4 beta 1 Verifying files (XprotectService)?

Since installing 10.12.4 beta 1, I'm seeing long delays opening files, which seem to be caused by the XprotectService scanning files on open. Files that used to open immediately are now taking minutes(!) to open, with the "Verifying (file name)" dialogue parked in the middle of the screen. Seems to be particularly bad with large video files in .mkv format, although it's affecting other file types as well. While trying to open files, XprotectService is taking up 40% - 50% of available CPU time.

Anyone else seeing this, and is there a way to work around or completely disable Xprotect?

Replies

I have the same problem

Same Problem! Started on 10.12.4 beta 1 - never had this issue before, with any beta !

-Time Capsule HDD and External I have connected to Time Capsule - verifying all files to open - never happened before (you can still open in Preview however??)

-Don't know of a fix or workaround, no ability to change anything I see for this

-The "permissions" for my external drives, have my user name removed and replaced with "unknown" - i believe the beta update messed up the "permissions' for the external drives...

Please reply with any fixes !

i came across this, will try later - please try if you can now and let know!

To view this setting, click the Apple menu, select System Preferences, and click the App Store icon. Ensure the “Install system data files and security updates” option is enabled. If you disable it, your Mac won't update its XProtect file with the latest definitions from Apple.

Yes this is new. I ended up going back to 10.12.3. I bugged the report and so far what I am being told is unless a lot of people complain they wont stop it. So PLEASE put in a bug at bugreport.apple.com

People who work with large video files all day will hate this.

seems it only has issues so far with wmv and flv

I tried permissions, disabling gatekeeper, etc.

Apple tried to say it is only if you have FileVault on but it is 100% OFF!!!

So please bug it!!!

IT HAPPENS TO .MP4 AND .MOV'S ALSO - ALMOST ALL VIDEO FILES GO 'VERIFYING' FOR ME

I MADE A BUG REPORT YESTERDAY AS WELL

I have the same issue and logged a feedback report too

ANY FIX IDEAS?

Same problem here. Killing the proces does not help.

ANY UPDATES?

I face the same problem,and have no effective solution yet.

10.12.4 beta 2 out - anyone test the verifying file issue - still happening??

beta 2 same issue!! what a joke!!!!

Apple confirmed to me via email that this is a known issue and closed my bug.

So question is ..... known issue bug or known issue intended feature.

I am all about security but when it hurts my ability to do work its gone too far.

5 minutes to verify a video file is not acceptable.

Hi macjeff,

you know about BETA-Software?

Apple reminds you, not to install BETA on Work_Systems. Only use BETA for Testing and Evaulations...

If Apple confirmed this as a bug, they know about tis, closed your bugreport, it may a Double of an existing Bug-Report.

"I am all about security but when it hurts my ability to do work its gone too far.", see above.....

5 Minutes to verify a Videofile (what Size? 25GB?) is depend from Size of the File....