New OS 2 Beta Update stuck in progress on restart

My computer is frozen and won't boot up since the update on my laptop. It works on iPad and iPhone, not MacBook Pro. Ar the Apple store now and they have a long wait and just said to do a system restore?

Replies

Some boot problems can fixed by booting to the Recovery HD and using the utilities, some more can be fixed in Single User Mode.

If you want to try one or both of those and need further help, let me know...

Depending on your level of experience and enthusiasm though, it might be quicker (and should certainly be simpler) to just do a complete system restore as follows:

Boot to the Internet Recovery by:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1 Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2 After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3 Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

i tried this, but now my CPU says 'This source contains a newer release of OSX. Your Mad requires an upgrade before you can migrate from this source.' I wiped the drive so I could restore from my backup drive that I backed up the last install update. How do I override this I don't have to start from zero?

This message is normally the result of trying to restore a backup / migrate from a later version of OS X onto an earlier version of OS X.

Like it says, it wants you to update to the same version as you had when you made the backup.

Please clarify for me what you booted into before getting this message.

reboot in safe mode by holding the shift key.

update will work fine in safe mode.

Tried following all these steps, brought it to Apple Store also twice and had to wipe the drive, did a system restore, recover from backup drive, then my entire keyboard or mouse is frozen. Apple Store staff said to reinstall OS X under lion and then that now doesnt work. I'm so frustrated I could scream.

i tried safe mode and it reverted me back to the screen with a frozen keyboard and mouse.

it says 'you can't upgrade this version of mad OS X because answer version is installed.' I'm going absolutely insane, this has taken and cost me two days of valuable developer time.

Do you have a second mac at your hand? Does your Mac have still the Disk Target Mode?

If yes, boot your Mac in Disk target mode while have it connected to the other Mac through FireWire / Thunderbolt.

Wipe the Mac with problems through the other Mac.

Create a USB thumb drive of the OS X installer version you'd like to install.

Restart Mac with problems.

Erase PRAM

Put thumb drive in and boot from thumb drive to install

There's two seperate steps here.

1. Getting your system back up to the version of OS X that you had when you made your backup. You should be able to do this with the original installation disk or with with internet recovery (holding cmd+option+r at startup - instructions given in first post). Then downloading and installing the version of OS X that you had when you made your backup. I'm not clear about which stage of this is currently giving you trouble.
  2. The actual restore from backup itself. If you've fully accomplished the first step it should not be giving you that message.

As lefrax points out, if you've got a second mac, you can also reset your system back to scratch (step one) using Target Mode.

I suggested through Target Mode because Disk Utility in 10.11 is still a bit buggy - with the underhood changes for partitions and repair permissions. I forgot to point put that the Mac used for wiping the Mac with problems should have a stable version of OS X installed - 10.10.3 might be a good choice, but everything below should work as well.

Same issue, apparently, as in this thread:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/7080