Rookie IPA question

Hello there,

I'm trying to update an app that's already on the store. I've got an .ipa from my developer and have updated the information in iTunes Connect. I've opened xCode, but cannot figure out what to do next. Unfortunately, the person who typically does this is no longer with the company and her notes on the matter were not kept.

When I Open xCode, should there be some place to "log in" so it can tell what apps I'm managing? I checked online, but I'm on an older version (3.2.5) because my mac is older. I can't find any accounts options in preferences for this version of xCode.

I'm assuming once I'm logged in, things will be clear, but any guidance would be appreciated. It there's a simple *****'s guide to this that would be great, because the Apple documentation is making me feel like an *****.

Thanks,

Dan P.

Replies

First, download the latest version of Xcode from the Mac App Store. Note that Xcode 8 requires macOS 10.11.5 or later (El Capitan or Sierra). The current version is 8.2.1, and the earliest allowed is 6.x (I think). After you update Xcode, follow these steps:

1. Open Xcode.
  2. After the welcome screen appears, right-click the Xcode icon in the dock.
  3. Select Open Developer Tool > Application Loader.
  4. Enter your iTunes Connect credentials.
  5. Double-click Deliver Your App.
  6. Select your .ipa file and follow the remaining steps.

Thanks so much for the nudge. I ended up having to get onto another computer (other one was just too old to handle more recent xCode / MacOS). I'm closer now, thanks to your steps above. However, I've got further confusion. I've done some digging in Apple's documentation and googling around, but nothing clarifies it in a manner I can understand.

- In iTunes Connect, I've got an app for iOS set to "Prepare for Submission" and have set the version number to 2.1.3.

- In xCode, when I followed the steps above, I got a popup saying the version number of the IPA is 1.1.1

- Is that version number on the IPA I'm loading in xCode something my developer controls?

And, just to understand my path clearly, once I get the above resolved, after I get done with loading my app through xCode, I'll then go back to iTunes Connect and where it now says "Build - Submit your build using Xcode 6 or later, or Application Loader 3.0 or later" it should show my loaded app, right? Then I'll click "Submit for Review", right?

I really appreciate this. I'm documenting furiously any step I get right so we don't have this problem down the road.

Thanks in advance for any inputs.

Dan P.

Could you please post the exact error message you are getting? That way we can see what exactly is wrong with the version number (since it could be one of several issues). Wording instead of a screenshot would be preferred (since we don't have image uploading on this forum, and it takes some time for the forum mods to approve links outside Apple sites).

The iOS version numbering system is not very clear in the documentation (https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2420/_index.html), so I'll try my best to explain. There are two numbers both controlled by the developer in Xcode: version number and build number. The version number is displayed in the App Store to your users. The version number of your .ipa should equal the version number in iTunes Connect. The build number is a unique version number for a particular build (.ipa), and every build you upload to iTunes Connect must have a different build number.

Here's how to check the version numbers of the .ipa file:

1. IMPORTANT: Make a copy of your .ipa file in Finder with Right-Click > Duplicate.

2. Right-click the copy and click Get Info.

3. Under Name & Extension, change the .ipa part to .zip.

4. Click Use .zip.

5. Double-click the new zip file.

6. Open the new unzipped folder.

7. Open the Payload folder.

8. Right-click the only file and click Show Package Contents.

9. Double-click Info.plist to open it in Xcode.

10. Look for the key Bundle versions string, short. The value of this key is the version number that should match the number in iTunes Connect.

Screenshot: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2420/Art/tn2420_infoplist.png

If the version numbers in your build and iTunes Connect do not match, you will need the developer to provide a new build with the correct version numbers. For now, I would not worry about the build number.

Once you successfully upload the build, you can select it in iTunes Connect. Keep in mind that it takes time for iTunes Connect to recognize your uploaded build (around 5-30 minutes in my experience). Screenshots:

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Art/9A-AddBuild_Annotated.png

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/content/documentation/LanguagesUtilities/Conceptual/iTunesConnect_Guide/Art/9A-SelectBuild_2x.png

Then, click Submit for Review.

Thanks a bunch for the detailed steps. I should clarify that I didn't get to an error... once I saw the mismatched numbers, I stopped because I didn't want to mess things up.

I'm getting closer, however, on step 6 (thanks for the numbers btw), there is no Payload folder, only one .app file. I right clicked on THAT and got the package contents and the Bundle version number. Looks like I will have to send it back to dev.

Out of curiosity, so as to avoid confusion, where would I see the build number? I want to not worry about it, but also don't want it to confuse me when I see it 🙂

Thanks so much, this is very helpful.

Normally, that would be easily seen when opening the project in Xcode and using the 'Info' tab.

You may be right on the cusp of having to take the leap towards actually using/learning Xcode (in your position, that may be a good investment, BTW)....just be sure to memorize TheCD's excellent summary on what the build # is and how it is used.

Good luck.

The build number is labeled Bundle version. See the screenshot I posted above: https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2420/Art/tn2420_infoplist.png

Glad to hear you're making progress. Good luck and feel free to ask anything else.