el capitan beta 2 update frozen at 3/4 progress

I tried updating to el capitan beta 2, my computer restarted and now its been stuck at 3/4 updated for hours now.

I cant log in to delete any affected files (which is what some other people said to do).

I cant hold cmd-r to enter recovery mode, it doesnt do anything even when I restart and hold it as soon as I hit the power button.

I tried booting off a external harddrive that i backed up all my stuff on a few months ago, that wont work either- it just gets me to enter my apple id then keeps on updating.

If anyone could help me out it'd be much appreciated, my laptop is useless at the moment. 😟

Accepted Reply

Hmmm. Interesting that you can log in that far. You could try Safe Boot in that case:

1. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  2. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

If that doesn't give you access, then you'll have to use Single User Mode:

1. Hold ⌘S on startup
  2. Wait until the white text is completely finished scrolling down then type:
  3. mount -uw /
  4. cd /Users
  5. ls
  6. --- IDENTIFY YOUR USER FOLDER FOR THE NEXT LINE - TYPE IT AFTER cd WITHOUT MIXING UPPER AND LOWER CASE LETTERS ---
  7. cd YOURUSERFOLDERHERE
  8. rm -r Library/Application\ Support/iCloud/Accounts
  9. reboot

Replies

update: I thought recovery mode was cmd-r but turns out its cmd-option-r, I tried internet recovery and after about an hour it failed and said apple.com/support -2002f. Im out of options and not sure how to continue.

Mirosval had a very similar issue, which we sorted out (https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/7014).

In your case, you might have to delete the files from Single User Mode but, before we get into that, please boot holding just the alt/option key (for about 15 secs) and tell me what appears.

I had the same issue. Left it at 75% for hours. Finally hard powered down and restarted, and it seemed to start up ok. However things are obviously in an unstable state. The Previous System folder contains quite a lot, including some applications including iTunes and iBooks.

Not sure how to proceed. How can i re-run the installer? (how I pine for the days of the .dmg) edit: I redownloaded OS X 10.11 Developer Beta from the app store. It's about says: Version 1.7.13 (1113). Is that dev prev 1 or 2? Should I run it?

Yeah I cant log in to delete any files though.

I did that and my macintosh HD drive showed up along with a choose network dialogue box below it to enter my wifi pasasword.

If I double click my macintosh HD drive then it shows to accounts, my account and a guest account. Then, if I click my account it resumes and freezes the update again.

If I click the gues account it does the same thing.

EDIT: i tried clicking guest account and it oppened up a safaari browser for me, I cant seem to do anything else though so not sure where to go from here.

Hmmm. Interesting that you can log in that far. You could try Safe Boot in that case:

1. After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.
  2. Immediately after pressing the power button, hold down the Shift key.You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.
  3. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

If that doesn't give you access, then you'll have to use Single User Mode:

1. Hold ⌘S on startup
  2. Wait until the white text is completely finished scrolling down then type:
  3. mount -uw /
  4. cd /Users
  5. ls
  6. --- IDENTIFY YOUR USER FOLDER FOR THE NEXT LINE - TYPE IT AFTER cd WITHOUT MIXING UPPER AND LOWER CASE LETTERS ---
  7. cd YOURUSERFOLDERHERE
  8. rm -r Library/Application\ Support/iCloud/Accounts
  9. reboot

unfortunately niether holding down shift (right after tone, tried several times), or holding down cmd-s worked 😟. No white text showed up when holding down cmd-s, it just showed me the user account and guest account buttons.

Well the "Immediately after you hear the startup tone" advice is taken directly from Apple's support page, but in my experience, you're best off holding down the keys immediately after you press the power button. Please try again a couple of times because if you can boot to a login screen, then you should definitely be able to boot into either of the two modes above.

Alright so I hit shift right after I hit the power button annd a bunch of white text showed up, then a second later it crashed and started rebooting with an apple aand progress bar. After the progress bar finished, a prompt showed up to reset my password by entering my apple id- so I entered it and hit next, it then went back to the login screen with the user and guest account buttons. I hit my user account and its frozen at 3/4 updated again.

I will restart my comp and try cmd-s right after hitting the power button.

PS I really appreciate you helping me!

ALRIGHT so I hit cmd-s RIGHT after I hit the power button and a black screen with some white text showed up for about 0.2 seconds and then it went to the login page again with the user aand guest buttons. So I turned of my laaptop again and started it and hit cmd-s while filming my screen with my phone so I could see the the text said- its a little fuzzy but it says:

"BuildUser() : error building a user of type 0x20010000"

it flashes that on the screen then goes to the login screen, I didnt let go of cmd-s the whole time.

Also, a bit of a fun fact: If I hold down shift right after the power button, white text shows up for a few seconds then my computer crashes and reboots, if I keep holding down shift the entire time the computer continuously reboots (I had it reboot 4 times in a row).

Is it a personal computer or one from work? The only time I've seen that behaviour is when Single User Mode is locked out by an admin before giving computers to employees to use.

Your only option might be to put it into target mode (Boot with cmd+t this time) and connect it to another mac. That way your hard drive becomes like a passive external drive for the other computer and you can access you files that way (you'll need your mac's username and password though)

It's a personal computer.

BUT ITS WORKING NOW!!!!!!!!!!! Here is what i did, after hitting the power button I held down shift and then let go when I saw a progress bar.

After the progress bar finished it asked me if I 1. forgot my password 2. password wasnt working or 3. was nto able to enter my password (I think those were the 3 options, I didnt take a good look at them) at first i tried option one and it got me to reset my pass and restart, didnt work. BUT i tried option 3 and they told me to enter my apple id to disable the firevault password- so i entered my appleid it dissabled my firevault and told me to restart. SO I restarted and then the progress bar for the updaate finally went to 100% and I see my background picture now and my laptop is logging in (hopfully!).

Thanks for all the help!

EDIT: took longer than usual to load my desktop but it eventually did and everything appears to be normal- thank you so much!

Everythings working now, I replied to one of your previous comments. Thank you for everything!

Good to hear. That you have the drive FileVault protected was the missing peice for me. Can you open the iCloud System Preferences pane okay?