6 Replies
      Latest reply on May 20, 2020 5:13 PM by Kent Simon AOFL
      kenglou.appxplore Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

I wish to know that there is a way for us to make sure the In App Purchase Promo Code works, Currently I had already implemented it but it doesn't works in Live. I don't think it is appropriate to do the testing on live, is there a way for testing the In App Purchase Promo Code?

Thank you Very much.

• Re: How to Test In App Purchase Promo Code?
          rich Apple Staff Apple Staff (265 points)

Promo codes can only be tested in the production store. Only the production store recoginzes the redeemed promo codes. What you can do -

Submit your app for App Review.

Set the release date of the App sometime in the future so that once App Review approves the app, it's not avaialble to the general user. However, it will still work with promo codes

Use an app promo code to install the app

Use the in app promo code. (BTW, immediately after app review approval, the in app identifiers may not be validated using the SKProductsRequest command. Give things 48 hours for the in app purchase identifiers to be activated on the store.)

If the in_app promo codes aren't activating after the SKProductsRequest works, I'd verify that the transactionObserver is active at launch time.

rich kubota - rkubota@apple.com

developer technical support CoreOS/Hardware/MFI

appyogi_mehul Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hello rich,

I have a macOS product reviewed and ready for release. It has In-App purchases. I have generated promo codes for the app and for IAP as well. The promo codes for the app work fine, but the app is not fetching SKProducts using SKProductRequest. Is it because the product IDs are not yet activated? How long before they work?

aystv Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi Rich,

In your suggested method to test apps which are not available on App Store but has been approved using promo codes, you mentioned the step:

Submit your app for App Review.

Does the app have to be a "new" app or can it be an "update" to an app?

Thanks

rich Apple Staff Apple Staff (265 points)

aystv,

In response to your question, you must use the production version of the app to test promo codes. It can be an update as well.

I need to correct an error which my earlier response made. In the production environment, promo codes should work once App Review has approved an app, but before the app has been officially released by the developer to the production App Store. In the promo code redemption process, the user uses iTunes to redeem the promo code. When the App Store receives the promo code redemption request, the App Store sets up an incompleteTransaction for the application ID/iTunes User, in the same way that it handles an auto-renewable subscription renewal.

When the production app is launched, it should install the transactionObserver, which will query the App Store for any pending incompleteTransaction. If one is found, the Authentication dialog is presented, the the purchase is processed in the same way as if the user had just use the "Buy" button. The updatedTransactions delegate method is called with the successful purchase state and the app processes the transaction.

What is a problem is that for an newly approved application where a new In-App Purchase identifier is included, the identifier will not be activated until the application is activated. In this case, the SKProductsRequest will fail to validate the new identifier until the app is approved for release by the developer. In addition, the new identifier may take up to 48 hours to be activated after the application is activated.

rich kubota - rkubota@apple.com

developer technical support CoreOS/Hardware/MFI

Kent Simon AOFL Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hey Rich,

If we release the app and pull it once the product id's are available will the product id's still be available if we have an app ready for release.

We want to do some limited product testing and it requires a subscription is there a solution that we can use?  Would external Testers in testflight have to resubscribe every 5 minutes?

It's a user test of 50 people before we push it live as a pilot project