NSSplitView + NSVisualEffectsView (within-window)

In my app, I have an NSSplitView at the root of the window view hierarchy to contain a sidebar alongside the main content.

This sidebar contains an NSVisualEffectsView to create blur & vibrancy. But it recently occurred to me why the "Within Window" blur setting isn't having any effect:

The split view does not allow its panes to overlap each other, so of course there's no content blur happening!

I've looked through the docs for NSSplitView/Controller/Delegate and can't find anything on this. Is there a "correct" way to tell NSSplitView/Controller to extend the content of one pane underneath another?

I've thought of overriding the layout/arrange methods of the split view, but wanted to check if there's a better way to do this, and if not, wondering if anyone has tried to do this and how successful it was.

Replies

What type view is your 'sidebar'?

>Is there a "correct" way to tell NSSplitView/Controller to extend the content of one pane underneath another?

Define 'pane' in this (iOS) context... Window? View? Popup? Alert? Subview? Modal? else? Try not to use web site jargon, thanks.

>I've thought of overriding the layout/arrange methods of the split view

Not something I would approach casually, no, mainly because it would then no longer be a SVC (collection/grid controller).