WKInterfaceMap not working in Simulator

I've noticed that WKInterfaceMap on the watch never shows the map. I'll only see a grid.

My App is recording a route/track on the watch, so I've done the real testing and developing on a real device, so I never needed the simulator for the map view.

But now I want to submit the App to the AppStore and then I need screenshots. I do only have the 38 mm Watch, but the AppStore asks for screeshots of the 42 mm Watch. Therefore I thought I could take the required screenshots from the simulator. But unfortunately the simulator always fails to show the map.

Is this a known issue and are there solutions for this?

If there're no solutions or workarounds, I guess I need to create a "fake" screenshot.

Replies

This has been a problem for well over a year. The Apple documentation even mentions it and suggests running the Maps app on the iPhone simulator as a way of forcing the maps to appear, but I have never found that works. However it's probably worth trying in case it does solve it for you.

I have a similar situation but for video. I have a 42mm watch which I can use for screenshots, but I don't know a way to capture video on the actual device (without my finger constantly obscuring it), so I need to use the simulator. However I can't get the maps to appear on the simulator.

Anyone know any workarounds?

Sure enough, launching the Maps app in the associated iPhone simulator made the map appear in the Apple Watch simulator for me.

It took me a couple of goes to get this solution to work. I had to start and then stop the Maps app on the iPhone simulator before the map appeared on the watch simulator.

Hope this helps.